8 DIY Gift Ideas for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As students, it’s our nature to leave everything until the last minute, and holiday shopping is no exception. With holiday season almost upon us, students may think we have plenty of time to come up with the perfect gift ideas. But then procrastination ensues, final exams begin… you get the picture. Luckily I’ve done the work for you and I’m about to flood your feed with some simple, cute, and affordable DIY gift ideas so you can ball on a budget. So here is my list of 8 DIY Holiday Gift Ideas.

1. Vanilla Scented Candles

Ingredients: 

• Wax Flakes
  • Pre-waxed Candle Wicks
  • Vanilla Bean Essential Oil
  • Glass Container
  • Optional: Crayons can be added in to change the color
  • You will also need a pot/sauce pan and a stove

This recipe is so simple you’ll wonder why you didn’t try it before! Start by melting the wax flakes and essential oil (and optional crayons) in a saucepan. While they’re melting, place your wick in the centre of your chosen glass container. Once melted, pour the mixture into the glass container.

2. Rosemary Lavender Soap

Ingredients:

• 3 Cups Glycerin base
  • ¼ Cup Lavender Flowers and Rosemary Leaves
  • 1 ½ Teaspoon Lavender oil
  • ½ Teaspoon Rosemary oil
  • 1 Teaspoon pulverized dried rosemary
  • Optional: Add coconut oil for extra moisturizing benefits

Making this soap is actually not as difficult as one may naturally assume. In order to make this soap, the glycerin base must first be melted in combination with the herbal ingredients listed. Stir until the mixture is completely blended and either pour into molds, or just simply slice the soap once it dries into cuts that match the size and shape you’d like your soap to be.

To make infusions: pour 1 cup of steaming water over 3 tablespoons at a time of dried leaves and steep for 10 minutes.

3. Bath Bombs

Ingredients:

• 1 Cup Baking Soda
  • ½ Cup Citric Acid
  • ½ Cup Epsom Salts
  • 1 Tablespoon Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Essential Oil
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • Food Colouring (any colour)
  • Molds

The steps to make these bath bombs are actually quite simple. First, whisk all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Next, mix the liquid ingredients in a separate bowl, including the essential oils, and food coloring. Once that is finished, slowly pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture one tablespoon at a time. Lastly, pour this combined mixture into a mold and let it dry. Your bath bombs are now ready to use and will make the perfect gift!

4. Mason Jar Gifts

Mason jar gifts are super cute, affordable, and easy to personalize. Does your gift recipient love to cuddle up by the fireplace with some hot chocolate? BAM hot chocolate in a jar. Throw in your favorite hot chocolate mix, some mini marshmallows, chocolate pieces on top and a candy cane.

Or, does your recipient love a girls (or boys) night out on the town? How about a cocktail in a jar?

Or, are they in need of a little TLC? How about a cute and fun “pick me up jar”? Personalize the jar with cute little gifts your recipient will love. Throw in some cute and fun tea bags, Hershey kiss chocolates, and maybe a few motivational quotes on some pretty paper.

5. DIY Fancy Candle Holder

All You Will Need:

• Hot Glue Gun
  • Candle holder
  • Dish or Tray

These items can all be purchased at the dollar store. Simply glue the candle holders to the dish or tray with a hot glue gun and decorate it how you would like! Optional: glue some marbles, fancy beads or ribbon around the edges.

6. Coconut Lip Balm

Ingredients:

• 1/8th Cup Coconut Oil
  • ¼ Cup Beeswax
  • 1/8 Cup Shea Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon of Coconut or Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon of Sweet Almond Oil

Just melt all of the ingredients in a saucepan and pour into small containers!

7. Jewelry Holder

All That You Will Need:

• Picture Frame
  • Spray Paint (any colour)
  • Small Hooks or Knobs
  • Glue Gun

Paint the picture frame any colour you’d like, and simply glue on the small hooks and knobs to hold the jewelry!

8. Charging Station

All That You Will Need:

• Power bar
  • Cardboard box
  • Wrapping Paper
  • Glue Gun
  • Ribbon

Wrap the cardboard box in any wrapping paper you’d like, glue on ribbon and other decor and simply cut out the amount of holes to the amount of plugs your power bar has to feed through. Place the power bar in the box and there you have it!

There you have it. Easy, cute, fun, and affordable DIY gift ideas that your friends and family will love!

Rachel Elysha B

Wilfrid Laurier '17

Rachel is just your average Canadian, who's passionate about all things legal when it comes to American politics and how the US and Canada intersect. As well, a self proclaimed yoga enthusiast, fashion consumed and pop culture junkie. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can probably catch her at the mall, reading up about the latest in the world of globalism and government, and watching beauty tutorials on YouTube