7 Ways to Have a Successful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year when we get back into the routine of school. Some of you may be thinking, “How can I do better this semester?” or “How can I change my bad habits?” Well, luckily, there are some tips and tricks that can help!

1. ALWAYS Go to Class!

I know those early morning and late night classes are annoying, and you may think that you can miss them, but seriously, what are you thinking? Realistically you shouldn’t be missing any classes. My trick for these types of classes is to treat yourself (although, maybe not every time)!

I know it can be extremely hard, but think about how much more successful you’ll be by going to every class!

2. ALWAYS COMPLETE YOUR ASSIGNED READINGS

Who actually likes reading dry textbooks? I, for one, do not, but in the past I’ve learned that it’s not only lecture materials that will be covered on the midterm or final; material addressed in the readings alone can actually be on tests. Readings also have broader explanations of most terms, which can be super helpful when studying.

3. Review, Review, REVIEW!

Reviewing can help so much in the long run.  After each lecture you should take about 10 to 15 minutes to review that day’s lecture notes. This can really help with important events such as midterms and finals, as you won’t be left to cram the night before.

While you might think that pulling an all-nighter is a great idea, it’s a proven fact that it doesn’t help whatsoever!

4. Don’t Cram, Always Do It Ahead!

Lots of people think that they will do perfectly fine if they pull an all-nighter to write an assignment or study for a test, but the reality is this won’t help you get a good grade. To avoid excess stress, give yourself plenty of time and start about a week to 2-3 days early!

5. Dress to Impress (Yourself!)

I always feel much better when I’m dressed well. Feeling good about yourself, physically, can help you with your academics! You know what they say, you have to look the part to get the part, and dressing well = looking successful!

6. Exercise!

Give yourself a break by exercising. Exercise can be a great way to relieve stress caused by school. Most students have a membership to the on-campus gym included in their tuition, so there’s practically no excuse not to go! For WLU students, the Athletic Complex hosts many different recreational classes from yoga, to spin, and many more! You can find them here.

7. Seek Help When Needed…

Whether you’re struggling with academics or mental health, you should always seek help. There are many different places that offer these services, right on campus. The Writing Centre offers help for those struggling with written assignments, either by appointment or during their walk-in hours on Thursdays. The Health and Wellness Centre offers their services to those struggling with physical and mental health; they have doctors and counselors on staff – and it’s free!

So there you go! I hope you have a fabulous and successful semester! Cheers!

Jaden Lundy

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a girl who loves her food and also loves her dogs a.k.a my two favourites things in the entire world.