This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

What does it mean to be environmentally conscious during the fight against climate change?

Many people believe that in order to create a positive difference in the world they have to drastically change their lifestyles. And although we all want to protect the environment, the thought of completely altering our lifestyles can be daunting.

The fact is, we don’t have to turn our lives upside-down in order to protect the environment. In this article, I have prepared a list of seven small things to do that can create a big impact.

1. Bring a travel mug with you on a Starbucks run

What many people don’t know is that the disposable paper cups we get our coffee served in can’t be recycled. Basically, these paper cups contain an inner plastic lining used to secure the liquid in the cup. Due to the difficulty involved in separating the paper from plastic in these cups at recycling plants, they get sent to the landfill. This means that bringing a travel mug with you to your local cafe can make a world of a difference!

2. Minimize food packaging

We’ve all seen the sheer amount of waste that is produced after eating bags of chips or candy. Personally, I have nothing against snacking — I snack all the time! However, in order to reduce packaging waste, I challenge you to buy more of your foods and snacks in bulk. If you want to go even further, bring small reusable bags with you rather than using the clear bags provided in stores.

3. Bring reusable bags with you when grocery shopping

It’s 2020. At this point, we can easily get a hold of reusable bags. Whether you find a Roots bag in your closet or a President’s Choice bag somewhere stashed away near the pantry, we can all work together to reduce the world’s plastic waste. We’ve all seen the photos of the tragedies caused by single-use plastic bags, so reusable bags are just the solution!

4. Consider public transit or carpooling when getting from point A to B

Planning a trip to Toronto? Ottawa? Niagara? Are you planning on going with some friends? Rather than burning copious amounts of fossil fuels by driving separately, consider carpooling to lower your carbon footprint. I can assure you that road trips with the girls are much more fun than driving alone.

5. Donate what you can

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least four shirts that I no longer wear. We all have clothes like that. They simply don’t fit right or excite you quite like they once did. Not to worry! By donating your clothes, you would be giving these fabrics a second life and freeing up some closet space in the process!

6. Volunteer

If you find yourself with spare time on your hands during the spring or summer months, consider doing some volunteering! You can help plant trees through various organizations, such as Forests Ontario, or you can participate in waste cleanup activities. Whatever you choose to do, you’ll be making a great impact in your local community!

7. Speak Up

If you hear about something, whether it be an environmental issue, political issue or anything in between, speak up! Be respectful, but let your voice be heard. Your opinion matters and you are entitled to your thoughts and beliefs. Ultimately, the planet is in our hands and we must protect it together.

Laura Sente

Wilfrid Laurier '23

BBA Student at the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.