jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things to Look Forward to in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Now that summer is officially over, the autumn equinox brings with it more than just shorter days and colder nights. Fall comes in many names and forms: like sweater weather, “cuffing” season and it brings many goodies with it too. From snuggly sweaters to pumpkin patches, here are six things that will make you forget all about summer! 

1. Changing colours in the leaves

Spring has its blooming flowers and summer has its beautiful colours — but nothing quite beats the fire in the trees that come with autumn. There is a simple, scientific explanation for the phenomenon of the leaves changing their colours, but nothing ushers in big life changes better than the falling of the leaves because it’s not only the leaves that change. Enjoy the beautiful colours in the trees: your Instagram feed will thank you later.

2. Thanksgiving

After long weeks of hard work (or hard play) at your schools and jobs, the holiday season starts off early with the “gobble gobble” of a turkey dinner. Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on what you’re thankful for and enjoy some downtime from all the responsibilities in life, but it is also a time to enjoy with your friends and family. The food isn’t bad, either.

3. Halloween! 

This is probably my absolute favourite time of the year! Halloween is the spookiest time of the year — and the sweetest. It’s the one day when everybody, from the boss to the baby, dresses up and becomes a beloved character. Kids trick or treat and adults drink their magical potions.  I might be too old to trick or treat, but no one’s ever too old to dress up! 

4. Sweaters

Need I say more? Sweaters are truly the ultimate piece of clothing — nothing can compare. You could roll straight out of bed, put on a cute sweater and call it an outfit. The perfect oversized sweater can hide all your problems like a giant soft tent and you can be cozy at the same time — talk about multifunctional! Bonus: match the cute, cozy sweaters with a pair of equally cute and comfortable boots for the ultimate fall outfit!

5. Netflix and chill 

Although Netflix and chill has become the international code for hooking up and is a year-round occasion, not just a seasonal thing, what’s better than REAL Netflix and chill under a warm blanket in bed while the leaves fall? Nothing! You can ignore the stacks of work you have sitting five feet away from you, while you enjoy all movies and shows that Netflix has to offer — but no judgement if you just end up watching The Office again for the hundredth time. 

6. Pumpkin Spice

As soon as the last week of August came around, news spread everywhere of the return of “The One.” What, you may ask? Pumpkin spice everything. Everyone thought that by the year 2018, we would have advanced enough to have flying cars and houses on Mars, but we’ve got something much better than that. Now, everything you can think of comes in pumpkin spice flavour; from lattes and candles, to basically every food you can think of. It’s almost like fall is really just pumpkin spice season …

There you have it: six whole reasons to love fall more than all of the other seasons! 

Kawthar Fedjki

Wilfrid Laurier '20

kat who likes cats. 20. psychology student. infp-t. gemini. gryffindor.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.