5 Women I Don’t Know but Would Like to Thank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I think we can all agree that sometimes, in multiple circumstances, it’s hard being a woman. During times like this, when we feel discouraged, it is important that we as women stand together, encourage each other and lift each other up. These actions can be achieved in more ways than one, sometimes by people, we don’t even know. I would like to take this time to thank five women I do not have the pleasure of knowing but in some way they have made me feel empowered, strong, and just simply proud to be a woman. Enjoy my list of admirable women who are making our world a better place.

Oprah Winfrey 

We all know Oprah as being one of the most powerful women in our world today. Oprah has single handily built her own empire through her own talk show, books, magazines and even her own television network. She stands for more than just being successful in terms of wealth, Oprah spends every day wanting to help people overcome adversity to ultimately live their best life, along with being a strong advocate for women’s rights. What more could we thank her for? “Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new centre of gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.” ― Oprah Winfrey

Emma Watson

Being a young woman myself, Emma Watson is someone who I have always admired. From watching her on the big screen as the unstoppable Hermione Granger to watching her on stage speaking at the United Nations for gender equality, Emma Watson quickly became one of my, along with many other young women’s, role model. Emma is now a global spokesperson for the incredible #HeforShe campaign and takes pride in being a female activist. For her strong determination and big heart, I think every female millennial would like to thank her.  “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.” –Emma Watson 

Malala Yousafzai

Known to many as ‘the girl who was shot for going to school’ nothing could silence this incredible voice from fighting for what was right. Malala is a courageous young woman who spoke up for girls’ rights to learn and go to school. Education is something I value immensely and I find it such a privilege to be able to learn about subjects I am so passionate about. I think every woman can thank Malala and her bravery for fighting for every girl to be able to have that same privilege.  “We were scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.”- Malala Yousafzai

Reese Witherspoon 

I have always admired this Hollywood star for her undeniable ambition and her hard work, despite being constantly underestimated. Reese became tired of being in an industry that was so overshadowed by men that women were not getting the recognition that they deserved. Because of this, she took it upon herself to make a noticeable change and started her own production company to tell stories about women. This company is now rising with extreme success, thus showing that a woman with faith and determination can go a long way. “What would happen if we were all brave enough to be a little bit more ambitious? I think the world would change.”- Reese Witherspoon 

Michelle Obama 

Not only do we all admire her for her gorgeous physique, women around the world admire Michelle Obama for her passion to talk about issues involving women’s rights. Former First Lady Michelle Obama used her spotlight to make a change and did not stop until she was heard. She raised the importance of supporting young girls in terms of education, self-confidence and our fight for equal rights. With her beautiful presence and light hearted sense of humor, Michelle is thanked around the world for making a difference for us girls. “Success isn’t about how much money you make. It’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.”-Michelle Obama

Thank you to these women for stepping up and making noticeable changes in our world. These women are all empowering, but a platform and celebrity is not necessary to make a difference. You need the drive and will to fight for your rights to make change like these women, no matter how small or big the action is. I hope this list of remarkable women inspires you to be the unstoppable woman that you are! 

Sara Domaratzki

Wilfrid Laurier

A lively and mildly entertaining 4th year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Enjoys dancing obnoxiously, quoting movies to anyone who will listen and eating various high calorie snacks. 
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.