This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Far too often, us collegiettes find ourselves wishing there was a cute, yet simple way of pulling our hair out of our face. Our minds race to the typical messy bun, teased ponytail, or even a half-up look, but eventually settle on just leaving our hair down and playing it safe. Adding a braid to classic styles can save you from this hairstyle rut and is a technique we all mastered in our elementary school days.

Braids give a laid back vibe while still looking sophisticated enough for any occasion. They’re appropriate for hanging out on campus or even styling into a fall wedding look. Braids work with all textures and lengths and have endlessly proved their ability to keep pesky baby hairs and bangs out of our faces. Although a braid may seem intricate and complicated at first, they are honestly as simple as it gets once you get the motion perfected. The key to braids is practice and knowing the right style that works for your hair type.

We admire the fashion bloggers all over Instagram rocking the trendiest braids and question how they pull off these looks so flawlessly. Guess what, collegiettes? I’ll let you in on the secret behind the braid: the messier, the better. Sometimes, actually faking the messy look by pulling pieces apart and teasing before hand is the key to making the braid look amazing! Below are the absolute most stunning twists on the classic braid for you to try this fall season.

1. The Bohemian Braid

This look shows an easygoing vibe and looks amazing with all textures and styles of hair. To achieve this look, part your hair in the middle. French braid each side of the front pieces of hair and pull them to meet at the nape of the neck. Secure with bobby pins or with a hair elastic.

2. The Crown Braid

This look is a twist on the classic half-up style and looks elegant for any occasion. To achieve this style, part your hair in the middle and create two French braids angled towards the back of your head. French braid until you reach your ear, then continue braiding regularly the rest of the way down. Pull each braid across the back of your head and secure in place with bobby pins, creating the look of a crown.

3. The Cascading Braid

This style is a great look for pulling your hair up on the go and is easily achieved without even looking in a mirror. Start by separating three chunks of hair from the crown of your head. Braid the pieces regularly for three cross-overs, then begin to French braid by pulling pieces of the front to achieve this cascading effect. Secure with a hair elastic.

4. The Side Braid

This look is amazing to style 2nd or 3rd day hair. Part your hair on the side and French braid your hair from your part all the way down to the tips of your hair. Once braided, stretch and pull the braid apart to make it appear thicker and secure with a hair elastic. Leave out pieces in the front of your hair to make it appear messy and undone.

5. The Bun Braid

This updo is a soft, romantic look and perfect for a wedding or formal occasion this fall. Part your hair on the side and French braid the front of your hair reaching to the nape of your neck. Pull the remaining hair into a messy bun with an elastic and use bobby pins to secure loose hairs.

6. The Twisted Ponytail

This look is stunning for studying or heading to class. It pulls all the hair out of your face yet is a unique take on the classic ponytail. For this look, part your hair on the side and create a fishtail braid reaching to the back of your head. Tease the back of your hair and then pull it up into a messy ponytail.

The braid is a perfect twist on our go-to hairstyles and its versatility to adapt to ponytails, buns, and half-ups is seriously undervalued. The braid adds only a few extra minutes to our morning routine, yet fools others into thinking we spent hours on our hair. Get inspired, get creative, and get braiding!

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem