5 Reasons Why Being Single on Valentine’s Day is a Blessing in Disguise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up fast, bringing with it a flood of romance movies, heart shaped food, stuffed animals, and couple-geared events. While this may initially make those of us who are still single feel exponentially more alone, being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be as depressing as it’s made out to be. In fact, it can be a blessing in disguise.

1. You dont have to stress about buying gifts for an S.O. if you dont have one.

Gift giving is a tedious and stressful process, especially when you’re shopping for your SO. There are so many aspects to consider, like where you should go to look for gifts, how much you should spend, what gift they would actually use and appreciate, what’s appropriate given the length of time you’ve been dating, and all those other tricky questions. When you’re single, none of this even crosses your mind.

2. You dont have to break your (extremely fragile) bank account.

Jokes on you, massively commercialised love holiday! Without a significant other, there’s no way you can draw us in to buying ridiculously overpriced dinners, cheesy cards, or any other kind of pricey Valentine’s gifts! Instead of dropping stacks on someone else, we can save our money for more practical purposes (like all the leftover chocolate that goes on sale the week after Valentine’s Day).

3. Its an excuse to have an awesome night out with your friends.

Grab your single friends and plan an awesome night out! Dinner, a movie, then hit the bar. Spending time with friends on Valentine’s Day is a great way to avoid getting sucked into the Valentine’s blues. I can’t think of a better way to spend my time than with good friends, good food, and good booze, so why not take advantage of this excuse to do so?

4. If going out isnt your thing, treat yourself to a little me time.

Valentine’s Day is all about celebrating love, so why not celebrate loving yourself? Show some love to the person who’s been there through it all, your number one support system, your partner in crime: you. Loving, appreciating, and treating yourself is something that tons of people forget to do, but makes a world of difference.

5. You can order a heart shaped pizza and not worry about having to share it.

My personal favourite part about Valentine’s Day is the fact that tons of pizza places will make you special pizzas in the shape of a heart. This is both delicious and aesthetically pleasing. While it’s pretty obvious that heart shaped pizzas are meant to embody the love of the two people who are supposed to be sharing the pizza, I view the heart-shaped pizza as an embodiment of my own love for eating an entire delicious pizza by myself.

Have a great Valentine’s Day girl! xo

Sophia Cole

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sophia Cole is a Writer and Editor for Her Campus WLU. She writes on everything from tongue-in-cheek topics like sex and relationships to easy reading pieces on the trials and tribulations of being a modern day woman. When she's not busy trying to be the next Carrie Bradshaw, Sophia enjoys spending time exploring new places, practising yoga and eating an abundance of different foods.