This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s time for pumpkin spice lattes, sweaters and some great fall books! During fall, I love to read mysteries, dark academia and thrillers, so I thought I would share some of my favourite books that I feel emulate the fall season.  

The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe  

The first book on this list is The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe. This was one of the most unique books that I read last year. It was so fast-paced and intriguing that I could not put it down. The Girls I’ve Been follows Nora O’Malley, who is the daughter of a con artist that has also participated in many cons herself. Eventually, she escapes this life. However, five years later she finds herself taken hostage in a bank robbery. The only thing that makes it worse is that she is stuck in the bank with her ex and her new girlfriend. Now she must figure out how to save everyone without letting out her secret past.  

Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé 

Ace of Spades is one of the most compelling thrillers of all time. I consider it one of the best books I have ever read. It deals with a lot of heavy topics, so beware before reading. Niveus Private Academy is one of the most prestigious high schools in the country, you have to be either rich or perfect to attend. One day an anonymous texter called Aces starts to expose the secrets of two students, Devon, a talented musician who does not like the spotlight, and Chiamaka, the school’s “IT girl”. They will have to work together to discover who Aces is and why someone is trying to destroy their lives.  

If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio 

If you love dark academia, you need to read this! I personally believe that this is one of the quintessential fall books. Ten years ago, one student at an elite arts college died and Oliver Marks was sent to prison for the murder. However, no one truly knows if he committed it. When he is released, Detective Colbourne, the one who put him in jail, wants to know the truth. What really happened a decade ago? Through dual timelines, the dark truth is revealed.  

Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson  

Truly Devious is one of the best mystery series of all time! If you love plot twists, dual timelines and boarding schools, you will love this series! In the 1920s, Ellingham Academy was founded by Albert Ellingham, who loved riddles and games. This was a famous private school for the most promising thinkers and artists. Soon after the school opened, Ellingham’s daughter and wife were taken and the only clue left was a note from “Truly Devious”. Decades later, Stevie Bell has been admitted into Ellingham and she is determined to solve one of the greatest mysteries. Truly Devious has other plans and comes back leaving death in its wake.   

The Undead Truth of Us by Britney S. Lewis  

The final book on my fall list is The Undead Truth of Us. It’s a fantastic book on identity and love with a spooky twist. Three days before Zharie Young’s mom dies, she is certain her mom has turned into a zombie. Eventually, she realizes that a lot more people are zombies and she is the only one who sees them. She doesn’t understand why this is happening, but she needs to find out. She soon meets Bo, who can transform into a half-zombie right in front of her eyes and Zharie wants to know more.  

From boarding schools to zombies, I hope that you enjoy at least one of these books this fall!  

Kayla Walker

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kayla is a third-year economics student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Kayla is reading romance books, watching marvel or hanging out with friends. She was born and raised in Barbados and loves to talk about her home and family.