24 Things I Want to do in 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’ve always been horrible at making resolutions and actually sticking to them. So, a few years ago, I decided that instead of making resolutions, I’d make a list of things I want to do throughout the year. It always ranges from major goals to just fun little things that I hope to do during the year. Although my list of 23 things I wanted to do in 2023 didn’t actually get completed, I did a lot of the things I wanted to do. Even though I didn’t do everything, it’s okay! This year I’m determined to (hopefully) complete more on my list of 24 things I want to do in 2024!

1.  Read 50 books

I really want to make an effort to read more books this year. I always find it hard to find time to read during the chaos of the school year. Before bed, I always end up watching tv or scrolling on TikTok. This year I’m going to try to read before bed instead and hopefully end up reading at least 50 books!

2. Make homemade gnocchi

I really love gnocchi and I love to make it. Except when I make it, I buy the gnocchi premade. So, this year I’d love to try making homemade gnocchi!

3. Do some pottery

Lately, pottery has been all over my for you page on TikTok. I did a bit of it when I was in high school and I really want to try get back into it this year!

4. Be more productive with my time

I feel like in 2023 I had so many days where I feel like I did absolutely nothing. While it’s super important to have days like that, I want to be more productive with my time this year. I want to spend more time doing things that I love and spending more time with the people that I love!

5. End the year with more money than what I started with

I feel like this is a pretty straightforward one.

6. Pass all my classes

I’ve put this on my list every year  and so far, so good! I don’t want to jinx myself by putting it on here, so hopefully it all works out!

7. Be better at communicating

One thing I can improve on is communication. I wouldn’t say that I’m necessarily bad at it, but I want to be better at reaching out to the people in my life.

8. Finish the cardigan I started to crochet in 2021

During the first lockdown I learned to crochet, and I made three different cardigans and various other things. I started another cardigan in September 2021 and somehow, I’ve just never finished it. I’ve done various other crochet projects since then, but I’ve never gone back to that cardigan. So, this year I’m determined to actually finish it. I think it’s time.

9. Try new recipes

I love to cook and I love to bake, but I find that I always make the same recipes. I mean, they’re good, I obviously make them for a reason! But this year I really want to try out some new recipes!

10. Go on more day trips

I feel like when I go out, I always go to the same places. So, this year I want to visit more places around me and do more fun things with my time!

11.  Figure out what I’m doing when I graduate

Somehow, I’m in my last semester of my undergrad and I’m not sure how my four years at Laurier are already ending. Graduation keeps getting closer and closer, so this year I really want to figure out what exactly I’m going to do once I’m done. I already have a bit of a plan but at the same time I have no clue what I’m doing. We’ll see if this is the year that I figure it out!

12. Try new restaurants and cafes

I’m very much someone who goes to the same restaurants and cafes. I also always order the exact same thing. This year I’d love to branch out and try some new places as well as some new food and drinks!

13. Go to the Eras Tour

Do I have tickets to the Eras Tour? Nope. Can I afford the price of resell tickets? Absolutely not. Am I still convinced that someway somehow I’ll be there? Absolutely! I don’t know how, when or where, but I will see Taylor Swift this year… hopefully.

14. Bake a cute cake

Honestly, I just think it would be fun and I like to bake. That’s pretty much the only reasoning.

15. Travel somewhere new

I love to travel and this year I’d really like to go somewhere I’ve never been! Whether it’s somewhere within Ontario or abroad, I want to explore somewhere new!

16. Ge more consistent with journaling

I got into journaling in 2021 and 2022, but in 2023 I got bad at keeping up with it. I was so inconsistent and didn’t do it as much as I would’ve liked. This is the year that I’m going to turn it around and be more consistent with it!

17. Host a dinner party

I just think it would be so fun. I keep seeing videos of people hosting dinner parties on TikTok and I’ve seen so many inspo pictures on Pinterest recently. So, this year I want to try to host one with some of my friends!

18. Use my camera more

I got a small camera a few years ago and I love to use it. I often take it to concerts to take pictures, but I feel like that’s all I use it for now. This year I want to try and use it more often and take it to more than just concerts!

19. Have a sunset picnic

I know that this one will definitely get done. My friend and I have sunset picnics at least once a year and it always ends up being one of my favourite days of the year. I’m hoping that this year I’ll have more than one sunset picnic because the vibes are just too good!

20. Donate a piece of clothing for each new item I buy

I’ve gotten a lot better at not buying clothes when I don’t need them. I used to be horrible at buying clothes just because and then only wearing them once, which is definitely not sustainable. So, this year I want to continue to only buy clothes when I need them and/or know that I’m going to wear them multiple times. I also want to donate a piece of clothing for each new one that I buy. Not only will that help out my closet, it’s also a more sustainable way to live!

21. Drink more water

I feel like I’m really inconsistent with my water intake. I feel like Goldilocks; some days I have too much, some days I have too little and few days are just right. I’m hoping that this year I’ll be more consistent and actually drink enough water every day.

22. Be better at budgeting

I really want to work on my ability to budget. I’m going to be honest, I’m not great at budgeting but this year we’re going to try and improve!

23. Declutter my space

Not only do I need to declutter some of the things in my room, I also need to declutter some of the things in my life. I really need to let go of the things that no longer benefit me and make more room for the good.

24. Actually do everything on this list

In 2023, I didn’t complete everything that was on my list. Hopefully this year I will, but only time will tell!

I’ve decided that 2024 is going to be the year of self-growth and doing things for the plot. I’m hoping that some of the items on my list will help me do that! Whether you made resolutions for the new year by making a list of things you want to do or nothing at all, I hope that this year brings you everything you want and everything you deserve!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.