20 Movies you Need to Watch Twice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Movies have quickly become a fundamental piece of popular culture. One of the greatest things about movies, however, is the diversity that each one offers. Some movies are great for getting over a breakup and others have the power to make you want to reinvent yourself. In this article, we will be discussing movies that you will want to watch twice. Grab a bowl of popcorn and snuggle up in your favourite blanket, this is going to be a long ride. 

1. The Green Mile

This sad flick is based on the best-selling novel by the one and only Stephen King, so you know it has to be good. The movie follows the lives of guards on Death Row. The guards call the time their inmates spend waiting to receive their punishment “the green mile.” The movie quickly changes when John Coffey is introduced as one of the accused on the green mile. John Coffey is a man who is charged with the murder of two little girls, but as the story unfolds, you soon realize that things aren’t always as they seem. The Green Mile is packed with laughs, from whacky inmates to funny jokes, but the movie will also make you bawl. I’m including The Green Mile on this list because not only does it make you question your stance on capital punishment, but it also tugs on your heartstrings.  You definitely need to watch this film more than once to appreciate the true beauty of it. 

2. Scary Movie 2 

I had to include the second installment in the “Scary Movie” series on this list for many reasons. Don’t get me wrong, the other four movies of the series are drop-dead hilarious, but this film, in particular, is what stuck with me. I first watched it when I was six and I’ve been hooked ever since. Upon your first watch, you may be confused by the whacky antics of the characters in the movie, but each time you watch the movie, you find something new, and somehow, with every watch, it just gets funnier. The movie is masterful because it includes spin-offs of classic horror movies, which explains why you might need to watch it more than once. As you understand the references and the truly bizarre nature of the movie, you can fully realize the true hilarity of the movie. 

3.  Forrest Gump

This is another movie jam-packed with references, but these references are more historical than satirical. The movie is seen through the lens of an Alabama man with an IQ of 75, which makes for an interesting flick seeing as he coincidentally appears during the most monumental moments in history. I chose this story because it elicits an array of emotions; one moment you’ll be laughing and the next you’ll be crying. Aside from that, the movie may take more than one watch to understand all of the references. 

4. Step Brothers

I’m going to go ahead and say it – Step Brothers is one of the greatest comedies of all time. The flick follows the lives of Brennan and Dale, who still live with their parents well into their forties. Although this movie isn’t a tear-jerker or a deeply philosophical piece, it’s just downright funny. Brennan and Dale’s whacky activities, like crashing their dad’s boat to rocking out at the Catalina Wine Mixer, will call for a re-watch.

5. Gummo

I’d like to bet my money that 99.9% of the people reading this article have never seen Gummo. The only people to date who I know have seen it are my weird 12th grade English teacher and Tyler The Creator, so that says something.  Gummo is a cringe-worthy film following a town after a tornado has hit. It appears that everybody remaining in the town is nihilistic and downright crazy. Gummo is truly a masterpiece because it’s bone-chilling in the most subtle way. Gummo will make you want to go take a shower and do a good deed after you’re done watching, and you will have absolutely no idea why.

6. Léon: The Professional

You’ve probably seen clips of this movie, considering it stars aesthetically pleasing 12-year-old badass Natalie Portman. Léon: The Professional follows the life of a girl named Mathilda who is taken under the wings of Léon, a trained assassin after her family is murdered. The movie sounds crazy, right? But that’s seriously not even the weirdest part! Léon and Mathilda’s relationship is chilling and questionable in the most subtle way. The movie is beautifully directed and the entire concept is just amazing. With each watch of this movie, you begin to appreciate its beauty a bit more.

7. Scarface

This was a movie I was hesitant to watch until I was 15, simply because I knew it was that good. Scarface is masterfully crafted and is loosely based off of the real-life Scarface. This movie is beautiful because it’s so well thought out and was truly one of the most standalone statement pieces of its time. Al Pacino’s performance as Scarface is exquisite, and the script is somehow even better. Scarface has so many iconic scenes, lines, and moments; it’s almost disrespectful to just watch it once. 

8. To Kill a Mockingbird

DISCLAIMER – you may want to read the book before you watch the movie, just to mentally prepare yourself. To Kill a Mockingbird follows the life of Scout, Jem and their father, Atticus. It sounds simple, but it’s so much more. The movie and book explore morality and prejudice in the most tasteful and effective ways. The screenplay is amazing and Gregory Peck’s performance as Atticus is considered one of the best of all time. To Kill a Mockingbird is worth a second watch because you may be too busy sobbing the first time around to properly understand all of the life lessons. 

9. The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones captures the few moments before the end of a young girl’s life, but most importantly follows the aftermath of her passing. I chose to include this movie on this list because of its power. The movie elicits the question of what the afterlife may look like. The Lovely Bones also reminds its viewers, in the most haunting way, of the importance of one life. Aside from the powerful emotional message the movie conveys, the use of powerful imagery throughout the movie makes it a flick you need to see more than once. 

10. Holding the Man

In my opinion, Holding the Man is one of the most underrated movies of all time, alongside other indie classics such as Gummo. Holding the Man is based off of the real-life memoir and play by Tim Conigrave. The movie follows the lives of two boys who fall in love in school in the mid-1970s, and then continue their relationship into adulthood. Holding the Man illustrates many of the adversities LGBTQ people have faced and continue to struggle with. This movie claims a spot on this list because not only is it a beautiful and true love story, but it also allows us to realize how far our society has come in so little time. 

11. Blue is the Warmest Colour

This French flick is another film that revolves around a LGBTQ couple and I absolutely love it. Blue is the Warmest Colour is simple, but electrifying in the most satisfying ways. The film simply follows the relationship of Adele and Emma and the adversities that they face as a couple. Although the film does not give as much of a perspective on the adversities LGBTQ couples face as Holding the Man does, it truly is just a beautiful love story. The director’s ability to transport viewers into the lives of the characters is truly amazing, hence why I recommend everybody watch it at least twice. 

12. Pulp Fiction

Let’s cut straight to the point here: this movie is genius. Not only does the movie contain the iconic Uma Thurman overdose scene, it contains many more iconic symbols. Pulp Fiction presents four different stories, masterfully crafted and intertwined into one. Technically, you should see this movie at least four times, because each sub-plot is seriously that good. Jam-packed with Kahuna Burger, mesmerizing Samuel Jackson monologues and darling John Travolta, Pulp Fiction is worth a watch… Or two, or maybe even ten. 

13.  Precious

I put off seeing this movie until a few weeks ago because I was afraid to view many of the situations explored in the film. Precious is a movie I always hear people buzz about, and most people will agree that Precious is the kind of movie that moves you in unimaginable ways. Precious explores many taboo topics such as rape, incest and POC struggles that many movies do not address. This movie requires an open mind and a strong stomach, so I warn viewers before watching this movie. If you do decide to give it a watch, you most likely will find yourself coming back to it due to its powerful storyline and strong performances.

14.  Black Swan

Black Swan is a movie that nobody seems to understand, but at the same time, everybody likes to tell themselves that they think they know what it means. To put it simply, I still have no clue what anybody was thinking when they made the film, but I love it. Black Swan gives watchers a glimpse into the darker side of ballet and the struggles many face when they are too attached to their passion. Black Swan is alluring, dark and mysterious, leaving watchers inevitably coming back again in order to clear up all of their questions. 

15.  In the Mood for Love

In the Mood for Love is rated one of the best films of all time and let me tell you, it’s for good reason. The film follows the heartbreaking love story of Chow and Su, two people who deeply love each other but simply cannot attain each other. The film details the longing of two desperate people, making audiences engaged to the point that they begin to feel what the characters are feeling. The movie is so beautiful, it almost feels like you’re watching an adaptation to a sweet yet bitter poem. In the Mood for Love is another flick jammed with subtexts, drawing viewers to come back yet again to relive a sad love story.

16.  Into the Wild

I can admit it – when I first watched Into the Wild I tried to hate it because at times it can feel like another sad desperate attempt to create a deep movie. However, it’s been almost two years and I think about this movie more than any other. The lead of the movie, Christopher, leaves his seemingly perfect life behind to live in the wild. He simply disappears from civilization and becomes undocumented. Into the Wild pushes viewers to question the current state of our society and makes you wonder whether or not life would be simpler if we did not have attachments to anything. 17.  Gone Girl

Gone Girl follows the life of sadist Amy Dunne, and her attempt to retrieve retaliation against her cheating husband. Many people praise Amy’s character for her clever antics, but each time I watch the movie, I realize that Amy is more of a villain than a victim. Amy’s actions throughout the film are so subtly genius and each scene feels like it’s melting into the next. From the technicalities to the overall concept, Gone Girl is beautiful and is worth a few watches. 

18. Her

Her is more of a horror story to me than a love story, although, in reality, it truly is just a romantic flick. Her explores the life of a writer who soon falls in love with his computer. This movie terrifies me because I feel as though we are just days away from this becoming a norm and that is frightening. Her makes you question what is too close when it comes to technology and usually gets a re-watch due to how subtly creepy the concept of the entire film is. 

19.  American Psycho

I’m writing this article while staring at a poster of Patrick Bateman in the iconic ‘card scene’ that is so proudly hung on my wall. American Psycho is in my definition a perfect movie. It follows the life of Patrick Bateman, a Harvard alumni who works on Wall Street and wants to progress in his job. On the outside, Bateman seems perfect; he is rich, handsome, has a perfect fiancée, is knowledgeable and likeable, but the movie reveals that he is so much more than that. American Psycho is beautifully directed and features a villain who is oddly likeable. The end of American Psycho will leave you questioning everything, drawing you to re-watch it again, and again and again. 

20.  Spirited Away

Spirited Away is a movie that I love so dearly but refuse to overwatch more than ten times in my life. Have you ever fallen in love with a certain food to the point where you find yourself ordering it every day? Yeah, I think we all have. Most of us have a tendency of repeating this deadly habit when it comes to movies, but I refuse to let this happen with Spirited Away. The movie follows a little girl named Sen who becomes trapped in the spirit realm. Sen is challenged to overcome all challenges she is faced with in order to save herself and her family. Spirited Away tells a beautiful story, filled with memorable and unique characters. Aside from that, it’s beautifully made and the soundtrack is to die for. Spirited Away is another movie on this list that is regarded as one of the best of all time, and I definitely back that theology. 

Lily Perez

Wilfrid Laurier

Just your typical eighteen-year-old communications major at Wilfrid Laurier University. I love fluffy pillows, soft blankets and printing out inspirational quotes on Pinterest to hang on my wall. I also avidly advocate for everybody to watch Step Brothers at least 10 times in their life. If I had to pick a spirit animal, I'd have to say I'm a hybrid of Elle Woods and Ricky from Trailer Park Boys. Stay golden. Ig - Lilyannaperez
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.