11 Reasons Why You Should Keep Having One-Night Stands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

You’re having a fun night at the club and decide to leave with all your friends. You end up bumping into a guy on the way out and exchange flirty glances. A conversation starts and as you are walking to get a drunken slice of pizza together, you realize you’re really connecting with him. You end up back at his place for a hook up and after you leave in the morning, that’s the last time you see him. A one-night stand… we’ve all been there, or at least thought about it. Whether it’s meeting him that night or exchanging numbers and getting a call later in the week, one-night stands are not out of the ordinary, and here are some reasons why you should keep having them!

1. There’s no commitment necessary

Since it’s a “one-and-done,” there is no need to spend extra time texting them afterwards to check-in, because you don’t have the responsibility to. 

2. Since there’s no commitment, clingy-ness is nonexistent

No worries about getting emotionally attached, because a one-night stand is purely for the enjoyment of the moment. There is no history or future, so the chances of feelings getting hurt are slim. 

3. You don’t have to know their name

Have a bad memory? With a one-night stand, it doesn’t matter if you can’t remember his name- you’ll never see him again! 

4. You can kick them out whenever you want

If you choose to invite them over to your place, you also have the power to ask them to leave whenever you want. Although cuddles can be nice, so is a bed all to yourself! And, if you’re at his place and he falls asleep, just scoot out – you have no reason to feel bad! 

5. There’s no fear of later judgement 

You can try out some new and fun things without having to worry about being judged later! This is the perfect chance to figure out what you like (and don’t like) in a sexual partner, and you can improve your own skills and techniques too! 

6. It’ll make for some great memories 

One-night stands can become great stories to entertain your friends. Sometimes crazy sh*t can happen and it’s fun to laugh about it later!  

7. Didn’t shave? Oh well! 

You don’t have to worry about grooming because you’ll never see them again- who cares what they think? Let them explore the jungle! 

8. Great tool for revenge 

Your boyfriend cheated on you? Go find their co-worker for a one nighter! Although spiteful, it can really make a girl feel better, or at least get even.  

9. You can be a different person for the night 

When you know it’s a one-night stand, it can give you the boost of confidence you need to be more adventurous, or more outgoing than usual. Making up different backstories or a whole new identity can be fun and exciting- why not, it’s just one night! 

10. Snacks may be provided

If you choose to go to their place, there is always a chance of snacks. Take full advantage of the situation! 

11. And finally, a girl’s got needs! 

Let’s face it, we all need to let out some sexual energy, and getting to do so without all the baggage of a relationship is great! 

Disclaimer: Safe sex is protected sex! Always use protection, especially with partners whose sexual histories are unknown to you, as it protects from STI’s and other unwanted diseases! 

If you have hesitations about having a one-night stand, don’t feel pressured to have one, but if you want to, you should! Being sexually active is nothing to be ashamed of or guilted for. It’s the 21st century – you do you, girl! 

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.