11 Books to Take You Away this Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s the best part of the semester: Reading Week! You may be going on a trip, and if you’re not, you’re probably wishing you were. If you’re just staying home to catch up on readings, visit with friends and family, and relax, it’s a great time to pick up a good book! So, after you’ve finished doing all the readings for your classes that Reading Week is actually for, check out some of my favourite books that take place in different locations around the world on your downtime and live vicariously through them instead of your classmates’ Instagram posts! 

*Warning: these books don’t all deal with travel, but they do take place in locations that are not Ontario, Canada. 

1. Summer Skin by Kirsty Eager 

This is one of my all-time favourite books. The tagline is “the feminist love story that girls have been waiting for,” so if you want a book about girl power, this is it! And it has a fun, realistic love story thrown in that any girl who has attempted dating in university can probably relate to. Bonus: it’s an Australian book! The story takes place at a college in Australia, so while it is nothing new to its main audience, for us way over here in Canada it is a trip. Pro-tip: it does contain some Australian slang words that you may need to look up along the way. 

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens 

I know, I know, a classic. They can feel more like school work than contemporary novels, but this one is fantastic. It takes place in two different cities, so you get two travel destinations for the price of one! Also, it takes place in a different historical period, so does that count as a vacation? To me it does. This book is so interesting, and takes place in the years leading up to and during the French Revolution. It has it all: romance, revolution, and mystery. One of the best classic novels I have ever read, in my opinion. If you’re into historical fiction, check this out! 

3. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Another Australian read! While this one is less about location, it is a super cute, well-written story. I read it last year in one sitting. It’s super fun, super sassy, and follows an office romance. There is also some travel and a road trip involved! I would definitely recommend this as a light read to help you pass the time; who knows, it could become your new favourite book! 

4. The Regulars by Georgia Clark 

This super fun novel takes place in New York City. It follows three friends who have just graduated from college and are trying to figure out their lives (can anyone else relate?). They end up discovering a potion that makes them beautiful and extraordinary, and the book examines the effects that this has on their lives and success. The novel deals with themes of feminism, body image issues, and entering adulthood. It’s not all glamorous, but it is hilarious.  

5. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan

Interested in royal love stories? This is your book. The main character falls in love with a prince, and it follows their romance until the day they get married. However, it is not all sunshine and happiness! This book takes place in London, England, and while the characters are fictional, there are quite a few nods to real life events. If you dream of going to Great Britain and meeting a prince, pick up this book! 

6. Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman 

Just One Day and its sequel, Just One Year, take place in London, Paris, Amsterdam, and the United States. The duology follows the two main characters as they meet in London, travel to Paris, and then return to their respective homes in the United States and the Netherlands. As a year passes, they learn more about themselves (while having no contact with one another) and eventually each return to Paris to try and find the other. A cute love story, but also a series about finding yourself and stepping outside of your comfort zone. Plus: it takes you to several locations in Europe through the eyes of a tourist and a local. 

7. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta 

This YA novel also takes place in Australia! If you’re starting to sense a theme, I’m sorry. I just really enjoy Australian authors, and who hasn’t thought about travelling there? This novel follows the main character, Francesca, as everything in her life begins to change; she is at a new school, her mom is not well, and boy issues are causing her problems. The novel explores mental health and its effect on a family, and a person, in a way I haven’t read before. I absolutely love this book, and if you enjoy it, Marchetta’s other books are just as intriguing, especially On the Jellicoe Road and The Piper’s Son. 

8. The Cyclone Series by Courtney Milan

This New Adult series is great for several reasons. Firstly, it takes place in California, Silicon Valley and the surrounding areas to be exact. Secondly, it covers so many topics that are relevant in today’s society in such a good way, and some topics that aren’t really talked about. Topics like male eating disorders, LGBTQ+ issues, immigration, interracial relationships, and women in STEM. The novels normalize these things, while simultaneously being aware that the topics are things that still face a lot of backlash and have voices fighting to be heard. *Warning: this is a series of stand-alone novels; each focuses on a different couple, but they do connect. If you are the type of person that likes all of the novels in a series to be out, I would hold off on reading these, as there are at least four more novels in the series to come. 

9. Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

This YA series of inter-connected standalones is adorable. All of the characters are unique and realistic, and have their own voices! Anna takes place in Paris; Anna is a newcomer to the city, staying there for school. Lola takes place in San Francisco, and you will quickly see that Lola is not afraid to be her own person as she takes you around her hometown. Isla takes place in both New York and Paris, with a quick trip to Spain, and deals with what to do when more than one place feels like your home. 

10. Beginner’s Guide: Love and Other Chemical Reactions by Six de los Reyes

This novel is fantastic. It takes place in the Philippines, and I really learned a lot about the culture while I was reading it, as the main character is born and raised in the Philippines. The novel also deals with women in STEM, first relationships, and family pressure. It is the first book in what appears to be a series, and there is no news yet on the next book. However, this book doesn’t have a cliff-hanger, so don’t worry! Also, as far as I am aware it is only available as an eBook currently.

11. Amour Amour and Infini by Krista and Becca Ritchie

Just turned 21 but don’t have the money to travel to Las Vegas? This NA series has you covered. The books focus on a fictional Cirque du Soleil-like company called Aerial Ethereal, and give such an interesting insight into the behind the scenes world of Las Vegas. If you’ve ever dreamed of dropping out of school and joining the circus, these books are for you! With amazing, relatable characters, wonderful romances, and a ton of action, this is a series I always recommend. The books deal with following your dreams, family, and more serious issues, like childhood trauma, mental illness, and male eating disorders. Overall, it is a great series that tackles many serious issues in a clear and understandable way, without getting too dark, against the backdrop of Las Vegas. 

Here are 11 recommendations guaranteed to take you on a mental vacation. Whether it’s somewhere you want to be, somewhere you’ve already been, or somewhere you dream of going, these books are sure to take you there, at least for a little while!

4th Year English Major at Wilfrid Laurier University. My favourite things include: books and baked goods.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.