10 Thoughts Everyone Doing NaNoWriMo Has

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Well, my friends, it’s November! It’s the best (and most hectic) time of the year for those of us who like creative writing. On top of the countless essays we no-doubt have for school, many of us are participating in National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo as it’s commonly referred to. If you’re writing a novel this month, I know exactly what you’re thinking.

I am so behind.

No matter if it’s the first day or the fifteenth, it seems like I’m always playing catch-up.

Do you think anyone would notice if I repeated this sentence? No? Okay, great.

Trying to hit word count is a bit of a stretch. A big stretch. Just stretch out the words to get the word count.

My grammar is awful.

With the rush, spelling, grammar, and structure all go out the window.

Wait, no, stop editing!

If you want to get it done, you just need to get it down on the paper. December and January are for editing!  

How on earth are people already done?

As if 50,000 words isn’t enough for a month, there are always people who manage to do it all in one day. I know, I think it’s witchcraft too.

Oh, the essay is only 4,000 words? Piece of cake.

Every deadline and word count seems like a walk in the park after ‘WriMo.

Do you seriously think I have time to go out right now?

On top of schoolwork and extracurriculars, we’re literally writing a novel. If we want to get it done, we’re going to have to pass on some of your shenanigans.

If I spent half as much time on writing as I do on social media, I’d probably be done twice by now.

Procrastination is such a problem. Some people spend hours on Facebook. Others write articles and assignments so they can procrastinate novel writing. We’re all in this together.

Seriously? Don’t talk to me, I was in the zone!

You get into a state of mind and any interruption is a setback.

No, seriously, I am so behind.

It’s a constant state, guys.

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.