hand touching jeans
hand touching jeans
Sophie Glasgow
Career

Women Mean Business: Small Business Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wichita chapter.

What started as pop-up markets on First Fridays, is now an operating business located in Downtown Wichita.

Recently in Wichita, we celebrated the opening of a new business venture owned by Gabrielle Griffie, Kenzie Borland, Lazarus Massey and Morgan Goodwin. What is empowering about this unique vintage shop, is 3/4th of the shop is owned and operated by women. 

Dead Center Vintage describes itself as a “vintage clothing store in the heart of downtown Wichita.” The shop had its grand opening on February 1st, with a ribbon cutting ceremony hosted by the Hispanic Chamber of Wichita. 

This shop differs from local thrift stores in Wichita. Similar to an antique shop, this store holds unique clothing, knick-knacks, art, and artifacts dated as far as the 1970’s. Vintage and old looks are making a huge comeback and Dead Center is taking advantage. 

On February 7th, Dead Center Vintage operated as a hub for Black artists and musicians in honor of Black History Month, offering something that not many businesses have, a safe, inclusive space for young people. 

They are beginning their business practice as being intentional with values and supportive of their consumers by hosting live music events with local talent in the city and supporting the diverse community that makes up Wichita.

Since their opening, Dead Center has been supportive of marginalized groups, specifically women of color, the indigenous community, and the LGBTQIA community. It is a space that is welcoming, inclusive, and environmentally friendly, and a marketplace that is important for up and coming cities like Wichita.

Wichita is a hub for new, young, and diverse talent. Local markets and restaurants make up a portion of Downtown Wichita. It is especially important to support and give to small businesses owned by women and minorities. 

According to the National Association of Women Business Owners, more than 11.6 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 9 million people, and generating $1.7 trillion in sales as of 2017.  

Businesses owned by women of color drive our economy, 5.4 million firms are majority-owned by women of color in the U.S. and 4.2% of all women-owned firms have revenues of 1 million or more.

When you shop, be intentional with your money. Women, especially women in your cities, drive your economy. The talent in Wichita is powerful, and I am excited to see Dead Center Vintage change the game when it comes to local markets and stores.

I am a senior studying Ethnic studies with a minor in communication. I am currently an opinion columnist for the campus paper at WSU as well as a content writer for HerCampus! I have a passion for relationship building and leaning into discomfort, my goal is to challenge and empower women in all aspects!
Sophie Glasgow is a business student at Wichita State University studying Marketing and Entrepreneurship. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Wichita. After she graduates in May of 2021, she plans on starting her own business.