The Worst Things About Travelling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I love to travel, and I do it as much as I can. But there are some things about travelling that totally suck. As much as I’m looking forward to my next trip, I’m definitely not looking forward to any of these things.

1.  The fear that you’ll miss your flight. 

Speaking as someone who has slept through their alarm and missed their flight, this is always going to be my biggest fear. Trust me, crying in an airport sucks.

2.  Trying not to forget anything.

My dad always says that if I forget anything, I can replace it when I get where I’m going. Everything except my passport, that is. I’m always so scared that I’ll forget it.

3. Making sure your luggage gets to your destination, too.

I have bad luck with my luggage. It never gets to my destination with me, so I keep extra everything in my carry-on. TSA always leaves a notice for me that they’ve searched my luggage, so maybe that is why it arrives five days late.

4.  Going through security.

I travel a lot, so I know how to go through security efficiently. But other people, not so much. Please, wear slip on shoes, don’t wear a belt, and make sure you take your laptop out. It’s so easy. Bonus fun fact: there are signs before you get to security that tell you exactly what you need to do, which means there are no surprises when you get to the front.

5.  Trying to get comfortable in a plane seat.

I really don’t have a preference which seat I get, which means I usually get a middle seat. I wind up sleeping with my head back, mouth open, trying not to touch the people next to me. It’s hard to get out, you have no foot room, and the person next to you is probably coughing. Pro tip: don’t use your seat back tray for anything, because they are rarely cleaned. Double pro tip: take a Benadryl once the flight takes off.

6.  Plane food.

Some people love plane food. It’s true, I read a Buzzfeed article about people who love plane food. And if you’re in first class, then why wouldn’t you like plane food? If you’re like the rest of us, then plane food is your nemesis.

7.     The person next to you might be Chatty Cathy.

Something about my face signals to people that they can tell me their life story (hello, lucrative career in therapy?) On a recent flight, I wound up advising a 65 year-old woman about her much younger boyfriend, her finances, and her relationship with her children. I love when people talk to me, and I love hearing about their experiences, but I don’t really have any ideas about anything at 7AM, 30,000 ft in the air.

8.  Jetlaaaaaag.

When I travel west, I sleep for approximately five days after my trip. When I travel east, I wind up cleaning my bathroom at 2am. Nobody wins when jetlag is involved. 

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.