What To Do This Valentine’s Day When You are Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Valentine’s Day can often feel lonely when you are single. It can feel exclusively like a holiday for those in relationships or lucky in love. But what’s wrong with celebrating self-love? Turn Valentine’s Day into a day of self-care and appreciation to help make the holiday a little less depressing for those who are single. It can be easy to feel sad during Valentine’s Day, scrolling endlessly through pictures of couples on Instagram. However, I argue that the holiday is meant to celebrate those unlucky in love with others and lucky in love with themselves. 

Here are some ways to do so:

Have a Spa Day

Treating yourself to a D.I.Y spa day is a great way to spend the day of love. Draw a bubble bath, put on a face mask, paint your nails, and sip a glass of wine.

Treat Yourself

Who says you can’t take yourself out on a date? Treat yourself to dinner and don’t skip dessert. If you don’t want to go out to a restaurant, make yourself a special meal at home.

Galentine’s Day

I think that this holiday should officially be changed to Galentine’s Day. Get together with your girlfriends and bake some Valentine’s Day treats. Turn on a good movie, but nothing too romantic or depressing. 

Go Shopping

Whether you go alone or with friends, this is a great way to spend time and distract yourself. Go to the mall closest to you. You can even take a road trip to another mall to really make it a fun day. Try on something new that makes you feel confident and beautiful.

Try Something New

Another great way to distract and treat yourself is to go out and enjoy something new. Take a dance class, pottery class or go rock climbing. Trying something that you’ve never done before will challenge you and make you feel accomplished. 

Go Out and Have Fun

People always take Valentine’s Day way too seriously. It is honestly just like any other day, so if you want, get ready with your girlfriends and hit the town for some drinks. Just because you are single, doesn’t mean you have to be lonely at home.

Create a Vision Board

For all the single ladies and gentlemen out there, it’s time to focus on ourselves. Go out and buy supplies to make vision boards. You need a canvas and some magazines. Focus on putting things on there that will make you happy and help you reach your goals for the new year. If finding love is a goal, that is amazing, but it doesn’t have to be. You are the most important thing to focus on. 

Let’s take back Valentine’s Day and turn it into a day of self-love and love for friends and family. The holiday has been taken over by couples (no offence to couples), but there are many other forms of love. Take the time to appreciate yourself and your loved ones. Happy Valentine’s Day! 

Ailie Crosbie

Western '25

Ailie is in third year of honours specialization in Media, Information and Techno culture with a minor in Gender Studies at The University of Western Ontario. In her free time she loves to watch TV shows and movies, workout and hangout with close friends.