Western University Student Expresses Concern After Hurricane Irma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Hurricane Irma surged through the Caribbean islands last Wednesday night. According to reports, the Category 5 storm reached maximum winds up to 185 mph, resulting in widespread damage and fatalities.

Jenée Joseph, a fourth-year chemistry student, was originally born in Basseterre, St. Kitts, but now resides in Antigua with her family. Despite being in the United States when reports of Hurricane Irma began, the storm’s impact has been of great concern to Joseph.

“I have friends and family in the countries that were affected by the storm. It is also worrisome since I am [now] here in Canada, there is only so much that I can do to help,” said Joseph.

Joseph has been in contact with her family in Antigua, but still has concerns about other family members in Barbuda.

“My family in Antigua are safe and I have heard from them every night since the storm. However, I do have family in Barbuda which was totally devastated and has been deemed to be almost uninhabitable. I am not sure about their status at the moment, but I am praying for their safety,” said Joseph.  

Other islands such as Anguilla, St. Maarten, the British Virgin Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands have also been devastated by Hurricane Irma. There has been little to no communication coming from some of these islands.

With Hurricane Jose approaching, Barbuda and Antigua are currently being evacuated in preparation for Hurricane Jose.

Joseph is spreading awareness of Hurricane Irma’s devastation on Western University’s social media pages, hoping students understand the urgency needed to help those in the Caribbean islands.

“Those interested in helping can donate via the TickeTing Events app which can be found in both the Google Play store and the Apple App Store. Any small amount would be greatly appreciated,” said Joseph.

Joseph is remaining confident in the strength of the people of the Caribbean islands.

“Although we may be classified as third world countries, we are much stronger than that.”

Want more HCW? Check us out on social media!

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram

Rachael, Her Campus Western’s 2017-2018 News Editor, is a senior at Western University studying Media, Information, and Technolculture, and Professional Communication. She is an aspiring journalist with a passion for news and controversial issues. On most days, you can find her fuelling her coffee addiction at various cafés, exploring fashion blogs, and day-dreaming about her next travel destinations. Follow Rachael on Instagram: raeejones
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.