Walking At Night: Ten Safety Tips For Walking Home Late From Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Walking home alone at night is always scary, especially for university students because we are more susceptible to criminal attacks. It is crucial to be aware of strategies that we can use to prepare ourselves in case of an emergency. Walking on campus may feel safer than other parts of the surrounding city; however, there are still cases of kidnapping and followings that occur on campus as targeted attacks. Now that we are entering winter and it is getting dark outside faster, our safety is now at risk as early as 6 o’clock, so it is essential to know of ways to make our journey back home from campus a little safer. 

Use Your Campuses Chaperone Service

Many campuses have a chaperone service that will either walk with you or drive you home to make sure you are safe. For example, Western University has Foot Patrol which offers services to students who wish to have support as they make their way home late at night. This is especially useful if you have been drinking on or near campus. Foot Patrol has an app that is accessible to all students, where you can text the Foot Patrol volunteers and they will come to you.

Plan Your Route Ahead of Time

If you know beforehand that you will be walking alone at night, it is useful to plan your route ahead of time or even walk it in the daylight so you are aware of your surroundings. It can also be helpful to choose a route you are already comfortable with and know is the fastest route, as you will get home faster. For more information press this link providing more safety tips.

Keep Your Keys Handy

As you are walking, it is useful to keep your keys in your hand so you can effectively get into your car or house without hesitation. It can also be beneficial to keep your keys between your fingers in your fist, in case you need to defend yourself.

Call a Family Member or Friend

If you are feeling scared, lonely or feel like you have potentially entered a dangerous situation, call a friend or family member to show that someone else is on the line and can hear what is happening. Additionally, share your location through Find my iPhone. If you do not have someone to call, then pretend to call someone.

Never Walk Right Beside a Parked Car

It is important to never walk directly beside a parked car because you never know if someone is in there. When you see a parked car, safely cross the street to avoid potential conflict.

Try To Wear Bright Clothing

Wearing bright clothing can help ensure that cars can see you when crossing the street. Driving in the dark can be difficult and accidents do happen because cars don’t see if there is a pedestrian.

Do Not Wear Headphones and if You Do, Keep the Volume Low

Blasting music makes it difficult to be aware of your surroundings and therefore, easy for someone to come up behind you. We all know how present music is in our lives, but avoid  playing music that is too loud or that will distract you from getting to where you need to go safely. 

Try to Walk in Well Lit Walkways 

When planning your route ahead of time, consider the lighting on the streets. It is important that you walk somewhere with sufficient lighting so that you are more aware of your surroundings and can properly see where you are going. Avoid alleyways or shortcuts and stay clear of any dark parks.

Trust Your Instincts

If you start to feel unsafe, stop and reflect. It is better to turn around or call an Uber or cab than to keep walking into an area that makes you feel uneasy. Oftentimes, our gut is trying to tell us something so to avoid a dangerous situation, always trust your gut instincts.

Walk with a Purpose

If you are walking alone and look distracted, you are more prone to a dangerous situation. It is important to walk with a purpose and with confidence. This will prevent people from approaching you and will intimidate anyone that you may come across. This will also help you get to where you need to go faster, safer, and more efficiently. 

If you ever feel scared walking home alone, just know that you are not the only one feeling this way. As university students who have to walk to and from campus, it can feel terrifying when you have to do so alone. Consider these ten tips to help make the journey back home a safe one.

Ailie Crosbie

Western '25

Ailie is in third year of honours specialization in Media, Information and Techno culture with a minor in Gender Studies at The University of Western Ontario. In her free time she loves to watch TV shows and movies, workout and hangout with close friends.