Thrifting: Not Just for Hipsters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The winter months are fast approaching and it’s time to purchase those heavy sweaters and bring out those warm wool coats. Here at Her Campus, we believe frugality is the key to success and we urge you to try something new this year: thrifting.

I know the concept of secondhand clothing seems daunting – you don’t want to wear something that has already been worn by somebody else or perhaps you’re afraid what you find will be too outdated to wear in public. But in most cases, it’s easy to find a good piece that has been gently used or maybe not even worn. It’s all about knowing where to look, when to look and what to buy.

First of all, try avoiding the scummy secondhand stores downtown that rely on donation only – chances are, they’re putting out whatever they get rather than checking for quality merchandise. Try checking out local consignment stores (such as a little gem I discovered recently called Timeless Boutique) or even looking online. It’s likely that people are selling 
off their winter clothing from last season or maybe even an item they bought on sale that didn’t fit them, but that wasn’t returnable. If you’ve got cash on hand, you could probably even strike a deal and get the piece for a lower price.

Secondly, and I know I said avoid places that rely on donations, try out Value Village! It’s their job to find quality brands – yes, even American Eagle – in their donations and put them on the floor for a reasonable price. Value Village is my go to thrifting spot. There are two locations in London that are quite accessible and Students even get a 20% discount on Wednesdays! All they have to do is show their student card at the checkout counter. Pretty good deal, eh? You definitely have to put in effort when shopping here though – sometimes the great finds are hidden amongst a bunch of garbage. On a good day, though, you could easily walk out with an outfit or two… plus some shoes… or a handbag… maybe even a few good books.

One thing you need to know is when to shop. Secondhand stores like Value Village or even consignment shops put out new merchandise daily and most people think that they key to finding the “good stuff” is to go to the store right when it opens. However, that generally isn’t the case. Most stores don’t put out new merchandise until it’s been sorted and priced. In most cases, that’s usually in the mid-afternoon. So don’t fret if you can’t make it to the store right when it opens – take your time, go to class, do some work and then make the trip. It will be so worth it.   

Keep in mind, though, that you should know what you’re looking for when you go in. You might stumble across a great piece that you don’t actually need and you might never wear. Make sure to make a checklist of what you really need: sweater, jacket, jeans, boots? Don’t be discouraged if you don’t find what you’re looking for right away! These stores receive new products daily and it’s likely that you’ll stumble across something great on your next visit. 

Krystyna is in her fourth year at Western University, formerly the University of Western Ontario. She is majoring in Arts and Humanities, with a Specialization in the English Language and Literature. She hopes to pursue a career in teaching with a fallback on journalism. Fair warning, she is a bit of a grammar freak and as such is a trusted HerCampus Western Ontario editor. She loves fashion, literature, music and film - subjects which she also happens to enjoy writing about, so stay tuned. All in all, Krystyna is a proud member of the HerCampus community and she looks forward to writing for you.
Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.