SOUL 2017: For the Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

HCWO has all the info on “SOUL: For the Culture.” BSA VP Communications, Lushwana Anderson-Stewart gives us the full run down on the event! 

SOUL is BSA’s annual Black Arts Showcase. It is the biggest event that BSA holds in celebration of Black History month, aside from opening ceremonies. This year’s theme is “For the Culture,” and we will be showcasing several Black singers, dancers, poets and visual artists with a delicious dinner included. This year SOUL, will be hosted by ThatDudeMcfly and Slynky.

SOUL will take place on March 4th, 2017 at the International and Graduate Affairs Building on Western University’s very own campus. The semi-formal dinner gala will take place from 6-9 PM, and the after party will start 10 PM.

Ticket prices have been reduced this year to $20 for members and $25 for non-members, and only $10 to attend the afterparty! Tickets will be available up until the time of the event.

Hosted by Marlon Palmer a.k.a ThatDudeMcFly will be hosting SOUL! He’s a Toronto-based actor, comedian, and Youtuber. On his channel ThatdudeMcFly, Palmer produces comedic skits, song parodies, and rants, which have earned him more than 159,000 subscribers, and 21 million views to date. Since laughing in 2011, his most popular videos include: “Shit Jamaican People Say,” “Shit Toronto People Say,” and “A Jamaican Valentine’s Day.”

Who else is performing?

1. David: Poet
  2. Saredo Mohamed: Poet
  3. Aaliah Fraser: Singer
  4. Emanuel: London based R & B, Soul Singer
  5. Juliet Oh: Singer
  6. Suicide Capital (Equire & Zain): Neo-soul/lounge and old-school hip hop rappers
  7. John Eniolu: Saxophone player

The proceeds of SOUL actually go directly to the Black Students’ Association club. Profits that are made help fund other important events throughout the year, such as our Career Panel, Guest Speakers, and other social events.

The after party event is a party of “For the Culture Weekend,” in collaboration with Caribbean Students’ Organization! We are happy to share that the after party will be at Loft Nightclub, located 89 King St., downtown London. The after party will be hosted by DJ Higgy, so you can expect the music to be flowing all night. Tickets are $10 for the after party or $15 at the door.

What are you most excited for about SOUL?

The thing that I am most excited for about SOUL is to see our vision come together. The BSA executive team has been working very hard, all year long, to bring you an event that is fun, unforgettable and showcases Black culture. I am also super excited about the location of our event this year. In the past, SOUL has normally taken place off campus but this year we decided to switch things up. The International Building is beautiful and we believe it is the perfect venue to continue BSA traditions!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.