alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relax—You Don’t Need to Know What You Want to Do With Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Whether you’re in first year or your final year, “life after school” is something every student thinks about. Some people seem to have it all figured out – they know exactly what they want to do once they graduate, what field they want to work in, and where they’ll be in the next five years (or at least they claim to know these things). This can be overwhelming to hear if you’re one of those people who feels like they have no idea what they want to do with their life.

Let me assure you, you’re not alone in feeling this way. If you don’t believe me, just type “I don’t know what to do with my life” into Google and browse through the 249 million search results written by people who feel the exact same way as you. But before you do that, here are five things I try to remind myself of whenever I’m feeling stressed out about life after university.

1. Your first job doesn’t have to be your dream job

In high school, I remember feeling like I had to decide on a career that I’d be stuck with for the rest of my life. Approaching life this way makes the task incredibly stressful – and it doesn’t need to be! Now is the time to go out and explore career options, discover what you do and don’t like doing. I sometimes find myself getting wound up in the stress of finding a summer (or even full-time) job and I have to stop and remind myself, “Hey, this doesn’t have to be forever.” If you try it and realize you hate it, nothing major is stopping you from switching it up and trying something new. It’s never too late to change your path!

2. Ask yourself some questions & use process of elimination

If you’re unsure of what you want to do, sometimes it can help to ask yourself things like, “What do I really like doing in my spare time? What makes me happy? Is there anything I know I don’t like doing?” Sometimes it’s easier to start with what you know you don’t want to do, and go from there. For example, throughout my various summer experiences, I’ve learned that I will probably never be an accountant. I’ve realized I’m not cut out for sitting at a desk all day staring at an Excel spreadsheet, and while some people may love that, it’s not the job for me. Which brings me to my next tip…

3. “Good for you, not for me”

I read Amy Poehler’s book, Yes Please! over the summer, and this is something she talks about that really resonated with me. It’s so easy to look at what your peers are going into and think that you should be doing that to, when in reality, you know deep down that you’d hate it. It’s at times like these where I try to remind myself of what Amy said: “Good for you, not for me.” You don’t have to do or like what everyone else does.  Go out and find your own path, and don’t feel pressure to keep up with anyone else’s pace.

4. Don’t be afraid to take risks

University is the perfect time to explore your interests and push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Join a new club or pick up that hobby you’ve always wanted to try. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your passion and figure out what you want to do!

5.Get out there and network

Go out and talk to friends or family members who do things that you think sound cool. In my experience, I’ve found that people are usually more than willing to talk to you about their jobs and how they’ve gotten to where they are now. Ask smart questions and learn more about industries that you think you might be interested in. Who knows, maybe you’ll find that you’re actually really interested in something you hadn’t previously considered!

Bonus Tip: If you have some time on your hands (or just feel like procrastinating) check out www.wtfshouldidowithmylife.com. A lot of the suggestions are silly but some are actually valid. They may actually give you a brilliant idea!

If all else fails, just remember that you don’t have to have it all figured out right this instant. Go for a run, take a shower, watch some Netflix, do whatever it is that helps you de-stress. Remind yourself that although you might not have it all figured out right now, you’ll get there eventually!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.