This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Although… I’d call it less of a problem and more of a personal lifestyle choice. No I’m not addicted to drugs, and my addiction doesn’t harm me physically. However, it does give me a similar kind of rush, a thrill. I am embarrassed but also slightly proud to be an Instagram addict… Which very quickly also led me to become a “selfie” addict. 

While I try to limit myself and not come across as vain… I struggle. You may laugh at me, but that’s just fine. When I look and feel my best, I want to capture it, not just for my followers but for myself. Sure it’s fun to get likes — even better when you get a lot! — but I don’t just do it for the little ego boost. Taking a good picture makes me feel good, it gives me some extra confidence for the day and it motivates me to present my best self to the world. That doesn’t mean I have to cake on makeup and get all dressed up, but I have come to know my own self as a person who feels their best when they feel they look their best. This could happen while getting ready for a big date, but it could also happen when I’m fresh out of the shower, a blank canvas. It’s all in how you feel about yourself. And it’s not a crime to want to show your kids what a rocket you were (and hopefully still are). 

So today I have decided to use my “useless” powers for good and help to walk you through my process. With these 5 easy steps, even the most awkward of us can take a great selfie that empowers … I promise.

WARNING: Highly addictive process. 

1. You need good lighting, not behind you but in front of you, shining on your face. You can achieve this by standing towards a window (the sun) or under/in front of a light that faces towards you. This light will naturally brighten your photo and acts almost as a filter to smooth out your skin. It also brightens your eyes and makes them shine like they were meant to!

2. Experiment to find your angle. This sounds stupid and superficial but it’s true… We all have one. I personally like to tilt my head to the left so that my bangs drape a little over my forehead. That position makes me feel my most comfortable and from experience I find it turns out best in photos. Practice really does make perfect & I won’t judge the 57 new pictures in your album… (you can delete the hilarious duds after – and get a good laugh at yourself). 

3. Don’t be afraid to get artsy. Yes, some of my Instagrams don’t look overly “natural”, but they were carefully constructed to convey an emotion I was feeling — it can become a source of creative expression for some of us. Maybe today I only feel like showing half my face or focusing in on my lips. Photos of yourself may not be perceived as serious art, but they are self-reflective. Social media has given us an outlet to be ourselves: you can put whatever you want out there, so don’t think too much — post what you feel. (As long as you’re not posting a bunch of nudes… It may be what you feel… but Instagram will boot you just like bad girl RiRi, not to mention your future potential boss will have seen your nipples.) 

4. Don’t be afraid to use your hands. Grab your hair if you want. Hold a bouquet of flowers even. It’s your selfie, who cares? Props can also be super effective in making your picture something unique to look at. P.S. Pets ALWAYS guarantee likes… Who doesn’t love a puppy? (So do bikinis, but that’s another story.)

5. Don’t be stiff. Taking a selfie can be awkward if you don’t do it a lot but you just need to loosen up and have fun with it. Selfie-taking is all about fun and feeling good. Haven’t you ever tried to model in front of mirror after seeing an episode of ANTM as a tween? We’ve all done it, don’t lie. You’re taking this selfie alone (please don’t do this in public), so what’s there to be nervous about?

Confidence is extremely sexy…. and if you’ve followed these steps, so is your new selfie.

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!