An Open Letter to My Little Brother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Dear Little Brother,

Right now you are 12 years old. You are halfway through grade seven and you are starting to become your own independent person. You’re learning what subjects you like, and what ones make you want to throw a chair across the room. You’re learning the sports you’re good at, and the sports where you make a better spectator. You’re realizing that the friends you had when you were little may not be the friends you will have in the future, and you’re finding out that grade seven/eight dances create very awkward and uncomfortable situations. I want to write this letter to you to give you some advice in the coming years, and to tell you about all the hope I have for the person you will become.

First things first: treat girls nicely! Boys who make fun of girls because they “like” them never get very far in life. If you like a girl, tell her. If a girl likes you and you don’t feel the same, let her down gently. Always treat girls with compassion and respect, just as you would your sister and your mom. Remember that girls and guys can be just friends and if anyone tells you otherwise, walk the other way. I hope that in the future you will be the boy all the girls think is nice, funny, and smart. Don’t be the mean boy, be the one who gives advice and is there to lend a helping hand. Keep your humour, but be respectful. Finally, if you ever need any advice don’t hesitate to ask me or be embarrassed (I’ll always keep it from Mom and Dad).

Next, let’s talk about high school and your grades. Because you have such high expectations for yourself, I fear you may run into some problems. The work in high school is not difficult, but it requires more effort. Grades nine and ten will be a time for you to further learn what you are good at. If you find out that what you once thought was your strong suit is now giving you a hard time, don’t panic. You’ll come to learn that no matter how hard you try at certain subjects, you’ll never be as good as someone else. And that’s completely okay! You know I suck at math, but kill it at writing. Just like me, you will find your strengths and weaknesses and you will find out what you love and what you don’t. If you are having difficulty with a subject, never be afraid to ask for help from your parents, myself, or your teachers. Everyone is here to help you succeed and you should never feel ashamed for not understanding a subject. Remember that as long as you work hard and do your best, you will find your passion and be the best at whatever it is you choose to do.                     Another thing I really want you to remember, is not to get caught up in the popularity contest. Be friends with the people you like, not the people everyone else likes. Always stay true to who you are and never change just to fit into a certain group. Many people say that the friends you make in high school don’t always stay with you for life, but my experience has been different. I found friends in high school who I love and will stay in contact with for many years to come. My hope is that you find a group of friends who will support you and make your life fun and exciting.

Last but not least, always take care of yourself physically, emotionally and mentally. I never want you to feel as though you are alone, because myself, our parents, and your friends will always be there for you. If you are ever sad, worried, or frustrated you can always come to me for advice. My eight years on you has given me experience that allows me to give you advice while also being able to relate to what you’re going through. Mom and Dad may not always get it, but I will. If you ever need me you can call, text, FaceTime, whatever. Even though I have a lot going on, I’m never too busy for you.

I love you always, little brother!

Love, Your Big Sister    

Third year university student with a passion for reading, writing, and chicken fingers
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.