Style

My Ultimate Guide to Dainty Gold Jewelry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

While cleaning out my drawers on Sunday, I decided it was time to part ways with my DIY earrings and necklaces. For nostalgic reasons (though maybe I’m just a hoarder) I couldn’t justify my decision before trying them on one last time. Five minutes in, my left ear turns red, and I frantically take them off while I run for the alcohol swabs. Once I sorted through my jewelry box, I was left with one pair of hoops and two necklaces, and I’ve been on the hunt for new jewelry ever since. As I browse endlessly, I’m completely lost on what the difference is between 14K solid gold and gold plated. After doing some research, I present to you, my ultimate guide to dainty gold jewelry.     

Gold Plated (Least Expensive)

Containing less than 0.05% of actual gold, gold plated jewelry is the least expensive option. Although it’s the most affordable choice, it will tarnish, chip, and scratch over time. This means you shouldn’t shower with your jewelry on, as that will shorten its life cycle. 

However, gold plated jewelry is a great option if you like trying new fashion trends. I’d rather spend $15 on a pair of studs to realize only a month later that I don’t like them. Plus, my backings often fall out and I end up losing an earring. With gold plated jewelry, there’s less pressure and less guilt to find them. 

Etsy is an underrated place for jewelry hunting. They offer fair prices, handcrafted pieces, and you get to support small businesses! There are too many to list, but one of my favourites is By Lía. Alternatively, Princess Polly offers an amazing range of 18K gold plated jewelry as well. 

Gold Vermeil (More Expensive) 

Gold vermeil is similar to gold plated except it has a thicker layer of gold on top of sterling silver. After my ear situation, no one was happier than I was to learn that gold vermeil is hypoallergenic. Similar to gold plated, it will tarnish over time, but it’ll take a bit longer. It’s a great choice if you’re looking for long-lasting affordable jewelry. 

Labelled as part of the basic Toronto girl ensemble, you can’t deny that Mejuri understood the jewelry-making assignment. If you haven’t heard of them, they’re a Toronto-based millennial-focused brand that creates minimalist pieces like this. I’ve never purchased anything from there, but my friends constantly rave about it. Something to consider, however, is that their product descriptions are vague. In the United States, gold vermeil is required to have a 0.0025 mm layer of gold while Canada only requires 0.001 mm; it’s hard to know if your Mejuri pieces are worth the price you’re paying. 

Gold Filled (Even More Expensive)

Gold filled pieces are required to contain a minimum 5% of gold and they have a thicker coating than gold plated and gold vermeil jewelry. As a result, it takes longer for discoloration to appear, which makes these pieces perfect for everyday wear. 

Besides Etsy, I haven’t seen too many places selling gold filled jewelry. The only other place I know is GLDN; I love their story, mission, and products. From hand-making jewelry on her kitchen floor, single mom Chrissy went from a one-woman show to employing over 85 people. All of their products are made out of 90% recycled materials with 10% of profits donated back to their community. 

Solid Gold (Most Expensive)

Made entirely of gold, solid gold jewelry is no doubt the most expensive option. They come in either 10K, 14K, 18K, or 24K – the higher the number of karats, the higher the percentage of gold. For example, 24K is 100% gold while 10K is 42% gold. I learned that 24K gold is incredibly malleable, extremely susceptible to scratches, and requires proper care. Pure gold pieces are extremely rare to find in Canada as most jewellers sell 10K or 14K pieces. Although they contain less gold, 10K and 14K pieces have higher durability, so you won’t have to worry about scuffs and scratches. 

While solid gold pieces are expensive, I think they’re worth it because they won’t tarnish or change colour over time. Note, this may be dependent on factors like body chemistry and external exposures. Unlike the previous options, there’s more than a thin layer of gold protection. Also, if it does get damaged, you could always re-melt and create a new accessory. Overall, they’re a great investment that’s more about quality over quantity. 

One of my favourite places for solid gold pieces is Ferkos Fine Jewelry — though, their holiday sale could give Aritzia a run for their money. I mean, 5% off a $1,500 USD purchase, is that supposed to make me excited to shop? However, they do have extremely cute, dainty, and timeless pieces, and everything on their site is 14K solid gold. Even with the ~$24 shipping fee, this ring set is still cheaper here than if you bought it at Mejuri.

With the holidays coming up, perhaps it’s time for you to do some jewelry hunting yourself. I hope this guide provided you with some insight into navigating the confusing yet exciting world of jewelry.

RELATED ARTICLES

Want more HCW? Check us out on social media!

FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterest

Helen Zhang

Western '23

Helen is a fourth year actuarial student at Western University. In her free time, she likes to watch Netflix (Suits, Greys, and Scandal are some of her favourite shows!), nap, and attempt to paint.