I Didn’t Join A Sorority, And I Wish That I Did

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As an international student, I didn’t know a single person when I came to Western. I tried a lot of things to meet people, including joining clubs and groups. As an introvert, I have a hard time making small talk- “what major are you in, where are you from”- I find it boring and awkward.

At Western, it doesn’t seem like Greek Life is a huge deal, definitely not as much as it is back in the states. At home, all of my close friends are a part of Greek Life or in co-ed service organizations- something that isn’t even offered here.

Now, in the second semester of my third year, I feel like I missed what could have been an incredible opportunity. When I was applying to schools, Greek Life was not something that I cared about at all- I never pictured myself as a sorority girl, or even someone who was a proud part of any big, organized group. But when I was applying to schools, I had no clue what I wanted to do; most 18 year olds have no clue what they want to do with the rest of their life, and yet they are forced to make tons of important, life-altering decisions.

At the time, I wanted to go to a small, liberal arts school, and major in English, and those are predominantly the schools that I applied to. Once I started touring schools, I realized that there was no way I wanted to be at a small school- it felt way too much like high school, and I wanted to move forward, not stay in the same place. Now, I’m at a school with 20k+ students, majoring in Sociology, which is something that had never even crossed my mind as an option.

I wish that when I first entered University, that I could have seen sororities for what they are- a great way to meet like-minded, strong women, and create bonds for life. I think that my network of people could have been much larger, and that I could have created a close-knit group of friends for myself.

Knowing what I know now, I might have gone to a larger school in my home country, with a greater focus on Greek Life and service organizations. And I definitely would have made more of an effort to step outside of my comfort zone in order to meet new people. 

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.