How to Explore Canada for Cheap this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It may be hard to believe, but the end of the school year is just around the corner. One of the biggest changes from high school to university is that all of a sudden, your summer is four months. For those four months you need to find something to do, and for a lot of people, that means finding a job. But why not reward yourself with a little break?

If you’re looking for a fun way to travel this summer without breaking the bank, Via Rail has the solution for you. As a part of the celebrations for Canada’s 150 birthday, Via Rail Canada is offering the Canada 150 Youth Pass, for travelers aged 12-25. For only $150, you can go ANYWHERE the Via Rail travels in Canada from July 1st – 31st 2017.

The possibilities for travel are endless. For those looking to explore the west, “The Canadian” is a route that goes through the Prairies and travels from Toronto to Vancouver, with stops in Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Sioux Lookout, and Sudbury. If you’re looking to see the east coast, “The Ocean” route starts in Montreal and stops in a variety of spots including Mont-Joli, Bathurst, Moncton, and Halifax. Essentially, you could travel from east coast to west coast, or vice versa, and stop in almost every province, all for the insanely low cost of $150. To put it in perspective, a round trip through “The Ocean” route would cost you $275.94 alone.

What better way to enjoy our beautiful country? You can use the pass to visit your friends across the country, visit family, or go somewhere you’ve never been before. So buy your pass now, grab some friends, and start planning your summer getaway!