Holiday Movies To Watch That Aren’t “Elf”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As soon as December hits it seems as if every channel can only play Elf, The Santa Clause, and The Grinch on repeat. While these movies are classics (and I watch them all every year) there’s no need to watch Elf three times a night as TV intends. If you’re looking to broaden your holiday movie watching, here are some great flicks that celebrate the holidays.

Four Christmases

Although it wasn’t super popular, this rom com holiday movie is great. Plus it’s got Reese Witherspoon!

Miracle on 34th Street

It’s a classic black and white flick that shouldn’t be forgotten. If you haven’t seen it, Santa Claus goes on trial. It’s a cute movie from a different age that reminds you of the true meaning of Christmas.

The Harry Potter Movies

They might not be Christmas movies but each one has a holiday scene in it. If you’re tired of the overwhelming Christmas messages on TV changing it up with Harry Potter is a great way to get a hint of the holidays without drowning in tinsel.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Both a Halloween movie and a Christmas movie, it’s so much fun. Plus all of the original songs are great.

The Polar Express

A movie where Tom Hanks plays almost everyone? Excellent. Although this movie is a bit strange it’s great to remember how it felt to be a child at Christmas.

Love Actually

Whether you love or hate this movie it’s a Christmas flick that you can’t forget. Plus the musical number at the end is fantastic.

BONUS

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Okay this one’s also a classic that you can find on TV. But it’s one of the best, so you can’t forget it.

Hello! I graduated from my masters in journalism in 2018 and have carried my passion for writing.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.