This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

For any Type-A personality, study abroad can be especially terrifying. It’s all about the unknown and, let’s face it, “Type As” are planners.

My personal study abroad experience has been all about learning to let go of these plans. I came to France without much of anything set in stone – in fact, the only thing I knew for sure was where I’d be living (but I didn’t even know how much it would cost) – and the gaping void of possibilities and uncertainty facing me filled me with anxiety.

I’d be lying if I said that I haven’t had my fair share of headaches, frustrations, and tear-filled phone calls home to my mom. (You can read more about that on my travel blog.) But some of my best experiences here in France have resulted from me learning to let go and embracing the unknown.

Exhibit A: Stepping out of my comfort zone and typical grocery-store lunch to find the best mussels and French fries I’ve ever had.

Exhibit B: Heading on an impromptu trip to Monaco with an acquaintance and embarking on one of the best friendships I’ve ever had (not to mention, experiencing the glitz and glamour of Monte Carlo).

Exhibit C: Trusting someone else’s planning and research to get me somewhere safely… and loving every minute of it (after I got over my obsessive Type-A desire to be in control, of course).

Exhibit D: Planning and going on my first solo trip… having everything go wrong (including running a fever and getting lost at 1 a.m.)… and finding some confidence I’m not sure I could have gained any other way.

It’s hard to let go and let life happen in its own way, but I think this is one of the lessons I’ll try hardest to remember back home. While you can’t just throw up your hands and say, “life will take care of things!” (because you’d never get anywhere that way), it’s important to learn to recognize when you should go with the flow. The flow has some pretty great experiences, too.

Next week: a “montage” of my trips this semester… à bientôt!

Kaitlyn is a 20-year-old third-year student at the University of Western Ontario, currently studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France, at Aix-Marseille University. She is majoring in English Literatureand is currently the copy editor for College Gloss and a blogger for the UWO Arts & Humanities student blog. Kaitlyn hopes to do a Masters degree in English Literature and one day work in publishing. Aside from being obsessed with the written word, Kaitlyn enjoys running, sailing, travelling, and making music (she plays both the piano and flute). She's looking forward to making new connections and getting lots of experience working with Her Campus!
Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.