This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Disney has always instilled the message that every hardship life throws at you could be overcome when you meet the man of your dreams. This ‘Prince’ will sweep you off your feet, marry you and punish your evil stepsisters, abusive parents and malicious nemeses. At last, you will be able to walk into the sunset and the two of you will live “happily ever after”. Ladies, the only way to truly live up to a “happily ever after” is to build your own life as a princess. Relying on individual qualities in order to achieve individual pursuit is essential. Lets imagine Disney’s perfect princess with real, complex issues that are affecting women today. What really happens to these beautiful princesses when we close the last page in the book? Fairy tales do teach morals and values, but sometimes it can lead to flawed rationalizations, for example:   

Sleeping Beauty:

Sleeping beauty sleeps for many years until her prince, Phillip gives her a faint kiss on the lips. Suddenly, Aurora wakes up and sees Phillip and smiles, seeming helpless, fragile and dependent.  Aurora has it all wrong- she does not need Phillip to release her from her misery. A princess’s life passes her by as she waits for true loves first kiss. In that case, the princess might still be slumbering! Aurora should rely on her individual qualities in order to achieve happiness, as oppose to attracting members of society to obtain happiness for her.  Women are brave, strong and intelligent; happiness can found in all those qualities. When you meet the right person you will know it. In the meanwhile dance, mingle, read, travel, laugh and most of all have fun!

Pocahontas:

Historically, Pocahontas was a beautiful, Native child who married John Rolfe in order to calm the tensions between Natives and British colonizers. This is all sweet and dandy until, you find out that Pocahontas was thirteen and John was forty. Rolfe takes Pocahontas back to England with her and she dies from pneumonia at a very young age. Talk about being greeted with guns, germs and steel. Such misrepresentations may have negative effects on how young viewers come to terms with such an important aspect of history. Women have the right not be owned by the man they marry. Despite the time period, the very fact that a 40-year-old man willingly married a 13-year-old says a lot about civilization. In the Disney movie, Pocahontas fights an arranged marriage, falls in love with a foreigner and negotiates peace with British settlers. The Disney princess is a true heroine, with more progressive views. If the real Pocahontas were given the option, I imagine she would have carried out the same role as the Disney character.

Cinderella:

What happens to Cinderella after the pumpkin carriage, the royal ball, the stroke of midnight, the glass slipper, and all the rest? Well as they say the rest is fairy tale history! Today, many real princesses struggle with body image issues. We are constantly reinforced with images from Hollywood that tell women to stay thin and young at any cost.  Based on the rates of plastic surgery and eating disorders in North America it is evident that we are all buying and believing these messages. Women should feel comfortable in their skin and glow because of life’s accomplishments. Besides, beauty isn’t forever, but intelligence and acts of kindness are. Society must redefine beauty and embrace the fact that aging is a fact of life. Cinderella must learn to accept herself, instead of seeking unattainable standards of beauty and weight.

Rapunzel:

We all know the story of the beautiful Rapunzel who’s Prince would call, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, so that I may climb the golden stair”. Today, cancer is a prominent disease effecting thousands of people each year around the globe. For many women hair loss represents a period of isolation and a loss of self-esteem, due to the value society places on hair. To have long, beautiful hair is to be beautiful by society’s standards. Cancer can affect everyone, even beautiful Rapunzel. Rapunzel, when juxtaposed with real issues, shows that princesses are human too and have to live their lives just like the rest of us. There are many options when it comes to hair loss and it is important to teach women that femininity comes from a lot more than just hair. 

Jasmine:     

In Princess Jasmines “happily ever after”, she might have a hard time making it to her honeymoon in time due to tight airport security. The new era of airport security makes it difficult task for passengers with darker skin to get to their destination. Jasmine might “randomly” get selected for secondary screening.  Confusing her husband Aladdin, for Jafar, could create hours of unnecessary searching and frustration. As Jasmine waits for her Aladdin’s secondary search by the CIA, she sits there hoping he does not end up in Guantanamo Bay! At last Jasmine and Aladdin are let go by airport security and they scramble to make their flight on time.  Even princesses have real problems that they must face each day.

I don’t mean to ruin Disney princesses for everyone; however, it is important to understand in the real world, these princesses would have to face real issues and their consequences, just like us, Collegiates! Each princess achieves happiness on their own terms however, happiness reflects contrasting ideas. Addressing Disney’s perfect, princess with real, complex issues that are affecting women, can help women universally re-define “happily ever after”.  

Inspired by: Dina Goldstein’s photo-shoot, Fallen Princesses