Disney Features Its First Gay Character

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Disney’s Andi Mack returned for a second season on October 27th with its first gay character, earning a 72 percent increase in viewers from season one, according to Deadline.

Photo from BBC News

Joshua Rush, who plays Cyrus, will gradually learn about his sexuality throughout the season.

In an Instagram post, Rush expressed his excitement to start conversations about youth and the LGBTQ+ community by starring in this groundbreaking storyline.

“Starting conversations about trust, love, relationships and family dynamics is easier when you have a show that you can relate to,” said Cyrus.

According to Page Six, series creator Terri Minsky, wrote Cyrus’ storyline with assistance from child development experts to ensure it is appropriate for a younger audience.

Andi Mack is a story about tweens figuring out who they are…Terri Minsky, the cast and everyone involved in the show takes great care in ensuring that it’s appropriate for all audiences and sends a powerful message about inclusion and respect for humanity,” a Disney Channel spokesperson told HuffPost in an email.

LGBTQ+ organizations such as GLAAD and PFLAG believe that Andi Mack is making history by introducing non-heterosexual characters to children’s television.

PFLAG’s Executive Director, Dr. Jamie Grant expressed his support of the show’s lesson to reduce the lack of representation of LGBTQ+ people on the organization’s blog.

“Coming out requires honest self reflection, no small amount of bravery, and a safe place with at least one trusted person—a friend, a parent, a teacher—who can hold your confidence…and your heart. Andi Mack’s creative team captures this moment of revelation with such thought, care, and authenticity,” said Grant.

According to Deadline, Andi Mack is a leading TV series that has impacted many females aged 6-11, 9-14 and 6-15.

Andi Mack previously made Disney history in its first season by incorporating an unplanned pregnancy. The lead character, Andi, discovers that her older sister Bex is her mother due to a teenage pregnancy.  

Series creator Terri Minsky is determined to include more storylines that are considered taboo for children’s television.

“I can’t say for a fact that we’ll never talk about sex, because we talk about a lot of stuff on this show I wasn’t expecting to. We don’t specifically say the words ‘pregnant teenager,’ but we have conversations about invasion of privacy,” said Minsky.

Andi Mack airs Fridays at 8pm on Disney!

What do you think of Disney’s breakthrough? Let us know in the comments below!