This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

First of all, the transition is going to be difficult. Leaving school, not having a life plan, and not having that responsibility to depend on for purpose will take some adjusting. School has always been there for you in September. Taking an unconventional route will be scary. You ask yourself, “What if I fail and fall off track? Go too far down the beaten path, that I can’t make it back?”, “What if I hate it?”, “What if this life’s not for me?” Yet, try to imagine the alternative. If you had that 9-5, bound yourself up to an even stricter schedule and reported to someone else. 

It’s f*cking scary going out and trying to do it on your own. Corporate life offers you a safety net, even though they see you as expendable. When you work the 9-5 you know you’ll be paid, have days off, and receive benefits, but will you be valued? Respected? It’s okay if it’s not for you. Let that gut feeling guide you through your decision. Trust yourself right now. Toss all your eggs in YOUR basket. It’s terrifying, and maybe you’ve never been one to gamble, but if there’s one thing you gotta remember… an unf*cked hen will lay more eggs. You’re smart, knowledgeable, well-spoken, funny, loyal, caring, and confident. If it doesn’t work out, there’ll be another opportunity. 

Sometimes you forget that you’re young. You have so much life to live and so much time to make mistakes. Remember, mistakes are lessons learned and there isn’t one that you truly regret (and if there is, you should stop being so hard on yourself). Sorry to be so corny, but it’s true: you only regret the shots you didn’t take. 
If you don’t do what feels right for you now, that’s okay, too. You might hold yourself back a couple of years, and maybe be upset you hadn’t gone for it sooner, but you’ll be  glad you went for it either way. What’s for you, will find you. Go out and do what you’ve always wanted to do. Create a plan, set goals,  and make it a reality — the world will keep spinning even if it doesn’t work out. If you allow capitalist ideologies to dictate your life, you’ll end up rushing through it. Take it slow, give yourself time to appreciate where you are now, and, when you finally end up doing what you want, don’t let the moment pass you by.

Renée Deer

Western '22

Hey! My name is Renée Deer and I'm a student at Western University. I'm currently working towards an Honours Specialization in Media Information and Techno-Culture with a Certificate in Digital Communications. I've been writing for Her Campus since September of 2021 and recently started volunteering with the Western Gazette. I am also the founder and creator behind Dirty Rugs. All of my tufted rugs are made from 100% recycled materials! If you'd like to see my work you can find me here: https://www.instagram.com/dirtyrugs.ca/ if you'd like to reach out you can email me here: deerrenee@gmail.com happy reading! :)