Christa Gunaratnam, Western Voice Finalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Age: 21

Program: Double Major in Medical Sciences and Environmental Sciences

Hometown: Milton, Ontario

Our profile this week is Christa Gunaratnam: a finalist on Western Voice! She’s funny, smart, down-to-earth and incredibly talented! Check out her interview below where she talks about her experience on Western Voice. She’ll be competing in the finals on January 27th and we wish her the best of luck!

Tell us about yourself! 

When I’m not studying (like I’m supposed to be doing) I love to hang out with friends; making food and watching movies. A lot of my friends are in the music faculty, so when we get together, it’s always fun to have out-of-nowhere jam session. I also love pranking my roommates whenever I can. My favourite thing I do with my family are our random trips to Niagara Falls, it’s the perfect road trip for us and I have never been once without having an amazing time!

What made you decide to audition for Western’s Voice?

I have always wanted to participate in Western Voice. It gives me a chance to perform for a large number of people both of which I know and don’t know. Back home, I’ve always sang at church and helped lead worship but the type of singing and environment of singing is different, so I’m grateful for this opportunity to challenge myself in a different way. Not to mention the opportunity to shoot a music video for free and record covers of multiple songs.

What made you start singing? Did you ever take vocal lessons or did you just leisurely sing before?

I actually started singing when I was around 6 or 7. My mom and dad were a part of the adult choir at our church in which they got to sing at various locations and on Sunday morning. It always looked like so much fun, and everyone was always laughing having a good time so I really wanted to join. I used to sneak into practice and force my way into the choir as much as I could until the choir conductor finally took a chance on me. She really believed I could sing, and would encourage me all the time. She took a chance on this little girl and gave me solos in this big choir where I felt so small, but always made me feel so empowered. I really matured just from her belief in me. She inspired me to sing for the rest of my life and do as much as I could with my voice and I have never been more grateful.

Did you find it difficult to go from singing privately to competing in big events like Western Voice?

I’ve actually always performed and sang in front of large audiences. In my past, I’ve participated in competitions and I have also lead worship at my church for many years, so singing in front of people doesn’t make me as nervous as I used to be. However, this is a different environment and a completely different audience. I find singing in front of my friends to be scarier than singing in front of random people, so I’m really excited but also incredibly nervous.

What have you enjoyed most about being part of Western Voice?

Honeslty, it has been an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to record music in a studio and shoot my own music video; not a lot of people get these opportunities for free! I also met the NICEST people. Everyone competing is so pleasant and kind and extremely supportive of each other which honestly took me aback because in my past experience, no one really talked to each other at competitions. Most people were there for themselves and themselves only.

If you could bring back one musician from the dead, who would it be?

I would definitely bring back Frank Sinatra. His music is timeless and nothing like today’s music. I have never heard a tone much like Frank Sinatra’s and it’s not emulatable. He is one of a kind and a true legend. Listening to his music always gives me a warm feeling and I wish I could hear more.

What was your dream job when you were a kid?

Scuba Diver because I wanted to be able to swim with dolphins whenever I wanted. Now I realize how unrealistic this was. There was just always something magical about the ocean for me, almost like it was infinite, you could see it going on forever.

If your life was a movie, which actress would you hire to play you?

Definitely Mindy Kaling, because she is my spirit animal.

How would your best friends describe you?

My best friends describe me as little and loud. I think they’re pretty accurate. I’ve always been asked “How does that loud voice come from such a little body?” to which I never know how to answer. Thankfully, my best friends have also described me as a loyal friend, I hate hurting people so I try to do my best to never hurt anyone. A LOT of people compare me to Mindy Kaling to which I usually just laugh because that is the BIGGEST compliment ever. Aside from her being incredibly funny, she is such an inspiring woman who has done so much in her life already and if I could do half the things she has, I would die a happy person.

What’s the funniest name you’ve given to a music playlist?

“Wet and Clean:” it was my shower playlist. I just thought “shower playlist” wasn’t going to cut it.

What’s your go-to karaoke song?

Oh, definitely My Heart Will Go On. Nothing beats powerful Celine Dion ballads.

What’s the last photo you took on your phone?

Honestly, it was a picture of what the raccoons did to our garbage bag outside. It was a disaster, but I don’t want to bore you with the details.

FAVOURITES

Movie: Harry Potter (Any of the 8)

Song: “Too Little Too Late” – Jojo (ALL TIME FAVORITE)

Celebrity: Emma Watson

Holiday: Christmas

Check out Christa’s social media: 

YouTube

Instagram

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.