Camille Inston, Leading Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week HCWO got to interview an amazing woman on campus who seems to do it all. I am very sure that everyone on campus knows this lovely lady, and we’re all in awe of her. So excited to introduce the fabulous Camille Inston!

Second year, Honours Specialization in English Language and Literature, Major in Theatre Studies, 20-years-old.

You’re a woman with many talents. How do you balance all of the things that you enjoy doing?

I don’t think I do — at least not well. School sometimes gets put on the back burner. Being enrolled in an institutionalized liberal arts program is hard because there is so much learning that can (and should) be done outside of the classroom. It is hard to balance those two artistic mindsets or personalities: the carnal creative maniac and the analytical academic. They overlap a lot; they get in one another’s way. I feel my academic side coming out in rehearsal sometimes and it makes me sick, then I’m distracted from schoolwork by the repressed manic creative animal. I’m very scatterbrained and that works out. I’m working on five shows right now, I’m taking five classes, and I’m prepping for my gig as A&H Head Soph. There is no balance. It’s crazy — I get up at 6 a.m. to go to Toronto most Sundays for playwriting workshops, get back at 1 a.m., and am back in class at 8:30 Monday morning. Then off to Antigone rehearsal. I’ve learned my lesson this semester — sometimes it’s mandatory to appreciate banalities, to take time off for yourself, and to breathe. But there is no balance.

What is one goal that you want to achieve this year?

There is a lot of work that I want to get done on some scripts and projects, but I think 2017’s ultimate goal is to learn to take some healthy time for myself. I’m in mourning for my physical and mental wellness. I am also all about opportunity; I’ve been very lucky in all that has come my way, and all I want to do now is give back to communities that have built me up. Arts students need to support one another, especially in a field that can be so tough and oftentimes so vulnerable.

“Antigone” is coming up on March 8-11. What inspired you to produce/direct/get involved with the show?

Anoulih’s Antigone” is one of those shows that changed my life the first time that I read it — it’s something that has always stuck with me ever since it was introduced to me by my ex-drama teacher and mentor. I think it’s very politically relevant… it’s about a woman whose rights and morals are being infringed on by a powerful man at the head of his government who is trying to hold onto his sense of power by enacting terror in his people. Yeah, relevant. It’s something that the Western theatre community has never seen before. It’s somewhat of a risk — I think that’s what drew me to it as well.

What are you most looking forward to about the show?

I have an insane cast and crew. Although the show is funded by the Arts & Humanities Students’ Council, there are performers from all different kinds of disciplines here at Western and out in the community involved. There are Science dudes, English and Classics majors, Philosophy students, film students and technicians… and every person involved gives such a wonderfully diverse perspective on the show’s events and characters. I’m looking forward to everyone seeing how talented they are and how hard they’ve worked. It’s been a wild process, but I have total confidence in the end result.

More info about Antigone? Where can we buy tickets?

Tickets aren’t available to be purchased yet, but please check out our Facebook page for more information about our team.

What are your passions?

Being around friends that make me feel warm, writing, reading, performing original music to strangers, eating Spoke bagels, napping in strange places on the Western campus, travel and travel photography, people. Life.

How do you practice self-care and make sure that you have what you need to keep being fabulous?

Oh boy, that’s something I’m really trying to figure out. I don’t have an answer for that yet. Get back to me in a couple weeks.

What other shows do you have coming up?

Right now, I’m a Playwright-in-Residence with the Paprika Festival, so there will be a reading of my show entitled “Blood Lines” this May in Toronto. I just did a show for the Grand Theatre’s Playwrights Cabaret, which is awesome, and my other show “The Boy Who Bled” will be at Purple Shorts again this year. I did the Theatre Western festival last year, and my first ever show “Anonymous” got put up. That was very lucky, I’m so thankful for that — otherwise, I wouldn’t be writing now. I’m also doing the Winnipeg Fringe this summer, which is great. My show “The Stock” is going to be there directed by Raffie Rosenberg who did “Spring Awakening” and “RENT” here at Western. And then there’s “Antigone,” of course. I’ll probably do some more music gigs here and there — I miss my guitar. I miss performing. Maybe that too. Saying that all is weird. I’m a lucky lady, but I work my butt off to do what I do every day. At the end of those days, it’s my friends that get me through. I can’t tell you how much I love all of the support systems in my life. They’re better than the art. Much better.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.