This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As an avid reader, I’m no stranger to sitting by my laptop anxiously awaiting pre-orders to open for my favourite author’s next book (Emily Henry, I’m looking at you), and 2024 is no exception. My fingers have hit that pre-order button so many times they’re exhausted. Here’s a list of my top 3 most anticipated releases of 2024. 

Funny Story by Emily Henry 

Emily Henry can do no wrong with her books. Having read her entire backlist this past year, I can confidently say that she writes some of the most compelling fiction novels I have ever read. 

You can find the full blurb and pre-order here, but allow me to give you my much more chaotic run down. Daphne’s ex-fiance Peter leaves her for his childhood best friend Petra. She is stranded in Peter’s hometown with no friends or family. What she does have is a cool job as a children’s librarian. Oh, and to make matters worse, she lives with Petra’s ex, Miles. The synopsis seems to hint at a fake dating bit, which, in Emily Henry’s world, will always end in the most perfect couple. 

You can pick this book up in stores on April 24th, but if that’s too long to wait, might I nudge (but really, shove) you in the direction of my personal favourite Emily Henry book, Book Lovers? 

The Paradise Problem by Christina Lauren

Ah, Christina Lauren, my all-time favourite duo. These two BFFs never fail to write a killer romance that will leave you laughing through tears. 

This novel has fake dating. It has a marriage of convenience. It has a “soon-to-be millionaire meets (and then marries) a starving artist.” If you want the full blurb or to place your own pre-order, you can click here. Coincidentally (or not), this link will also take you to Christina Lauren’s website, where you can browse some of the greatest romance novels of the last five years. 

If you, like me, can’t wait until May 14th to pick up your next Christina Lauren read, you can always pick up Love and Other Words, which will leave you speechless in the best way. 

This Summer Will Be Different by Carley Fortune 

Carley Fortune does something I rarely see in books: she writes stories about Canadian characters that take place in Canada. The first time I read one of her books, she mentioned three different Canadian universities by name, and I nearly fell out of my chair. 

Again, you can find the blurb and place your pre-order here, but for your reading pleasure, I’ve included one of my own as well. Lucy has a vacation home in PEI. Felix is a PEI local who, what do you know, happens to be her best friend’s younger brother. They have a list of reasons to stay away from each other and vow to do just that. Even if, year after year, Lucy is drawn to Felix, she has always prided herself on being able to keep her heart out of it. When Felix’s sister flees to the island a week before her wedding, Lucy follows, and she is once again sucked back into Felix’s life. 

You can read This Summer Will Be Different on May 7th, and I suggest reading her other two books first. Carley Fortune is the queen of Canadian summer romances. 

Emily is a third-year Health Studies student with a minor in creative writing at Western Univeristy. When she's not writing, she can be found with a romance book in hand, probably drinking a vanilla oat milk latte.