7 Reasons to Join Her Campus Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Thinking of getting more involved on-campus this year but not sure what organizations to join? Write for Her Campus Western, an online magazine for women at Western University where we write articles and hold events, socials, meetings and workshops. Here are seven reasons to join our team.  

1. Freedom to write about what you want

Want to write about relationships? Interested in sharing your views on politics? Just dying to tell everyone your thoughts on the latest movie you watched? Well, with HCW, the sky’s the limit! From food to culture to fashion, there are endless possibilities. Unlike an assignment for school, here you can write about topics that actually interest you—and connect with a larger community who shares those interests.

2. You get your work published

Here at HCW, you can write articles and get them published online! That means your mom, your dad, your friend, your aunt, your high school crush, your neighbour and your grandma can all read and share your articles. How cool is that? 

3. You meet lots of amazing people 

With fun events, meetings and workshops, HCW gives you the chance to meet new people and make new friends. Even with COVID-19, we’ve got enough fun virtual events planned to last all year! There will be plenty of opportunities to meet some wonderful people—you won’t want to miss out.

4. The time-commitment is flexible

We get it, you’re a busy bee. With lectures, assignments, tests, jobs, clubs and everything else going on in your life, it can get pretty busy. Here at HCW, we’ve made sure that the time-commitment for writers is both low and flexible. You only have to write one article a month (but you get to pick your own due dates) and attend a handful of events and meetings throughout the semester (but we can be flexible if you can’t always make it—we know life happens). 

5. It’s a fabulous creative outlet 

Are you a math or med sci major but love getting creative? We can help with that. Writing for HCW is a great way to share your ideas in a fun and creative way. Plus, we will have opportunities for you to showcase your art and creative writing skills this year too. 

6. It can help with your future career

If you dream of going into business, marketing, publishing, journalism, public relations or anything like that, HCW is a great starting off point. Trust us, published work looks awesome on your resume. Some of our HCW alumnae have written books, started companies, and have worked as managers, copywriters, communications specialists, public relations specialists, biographers, publicity coordinators, and creative directors.   

7. It’s empowering

Being a part of an online magazine made by women for women is such an empowering and wonderful experience. Her Campus Western can give you that sense of belonging as you write articles alongside other strong, lovely women. From periods to self-love, this is a safe space for you to use your voice: here you can express your feelings and opinions on what matters to you. We want to hear what you’ve got to say!  

Interested in joining? Of course you are! Fill out this application link and apply to be a writer for Her Campus Western now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jfNFBzoLLXwEzof4v1ZjUFlwmUVFbOWuqkClSQqrrbY/edit?usp=sharing