7 Must Reads for the Twenty-Something Boss B*tch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you’re a driven twenty-something boss b*tch, this article’s for you! The books suggested in this article have helped me grow into the person I am today, assisted in structuring my outlook on life and have given me the motivation to do some of the things I am most proud of. I sincerely hope these books will influence your life like they did mine!

1. Lean In — Sheryl Sandberg

Did you know that only 4% of Fortune 500 company CEO’s are women? Time to Lean In, ladies! If there’s one book I would recommend for all females to read AT LEAST once in their lifetime, it is THIS book. Sheryl Sandberg is the COO of Facebook (Mark Zuckerberg’s right hand woman) and is dedicated to progressing feminism in the executive corporate sphere, an occupational field lacking women, and definitely suffering because of it. Before I read this book, I had almost no knowledge of feminism, other than what was taught in my first year Introduction to Sociology class. I found Lean In was my motivation to get involved on campus, pushing me to raise my hand in class and speak up in a way that I never did before. Reading this book sparked something in me and gave me the push to start advocating for women in any sphere imaginable. I hope Lean In does the same for you.

2. Bossypants — Tina Fey

The first thing I want to say about this book is that I have never laughed so aggressively at a book in public before. Tina Fey is known for her wit, cleverness and outrageous humor that is so very present in this book. If I didn’t already before, Bossypants left me wanting to be Tina’s best friend forever. If for no other reason, read this book because you’ll sh*t your pants from laughing so hard.

3. Yes Please — Amy Poehler

Yes Please is like Bossypants on cocaine. I mean, this woman performed one of the most intense Sarah Palin raps on SNL while nine months pregnant, would you expect anything less? However, I must say, the main reason I fell in love with this book was because of the advice Amy Poehler so kindly offers. You can really get a sense for how down-to-earth Amy is while reading this book and I found myself sad when I had finished. I closed the book feeling like I’d known her.

4. The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo — Amy Schumer

The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo is one of the most refreshing books. Amy’s stories are ridiculously hilarious, yet she gives some real, down to earth advice about the different hardships she faced growing up. I found that this book instilled a confidence in me, specifically with regard to positive body-image, as this is a cause close to Amy’s heart. This book is the perfect balance of humorous, but thoughtful reflection on past experiences and how we can learn from her mistakes.

5. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and Why Not Me? — Mindy Kaling

These are basically “The Mindy Project” in book form, but better. Need I say more?

6. I Had A Nice Time and Other Lies — The Betches

The perfect book for the boss betch. I read this book in a sh*tty time in my life, when I had been having TONS of boy trouble and vowed to be a career-hungry spinster for the rest of my life. In such an age when we are glued to our phones, worried about who texts who first, this book reminded me to CHILL THE F*CK OUT, because if he’s not actively showing you that he likes you, (reality check) he probably doesn’t. These days we are so caught up in mind games and making excuses for why he isn’t texting back, we forget to just put our phone down, chill out and bask in the raw beauty of having feelings for someone. Ironically enough, while I was reading this guide to dating, I found the guy of my dreams! I hope this book works its magic on your love life, too!

7. Milk & Honey — Rupi Kaur

Rupi Kaur is as close to a real life goddess as any one of us will ever get. Her words have a way of comforting me after a rough day or giving me hope for the future when I’m feeling down. This is the book you’ll send quotes to your friends from, or the book you keep on your nightstand just in case you need a quick pick-me-up.

MacKenzie is a 3rd year Criminology Student at Western University and an aspiring criminal lawyer. She is passionate about women empowerment and butter chicken. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter for more shenanigans: @mackenzievozza
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.