5 Tips to Get You Ready for the Big Spring Move

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It might only February, but I’m already counting down my days left in London.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed the city and loved going to Western, but I am beyond ready to move back home.  With that being said, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I’m already plotting my move home in April.  

I know not everyone shares my enthusiasm at leaving the “Western Bubble”, but the earlier you start thinking about moving out in April, the easier your move will be.  I’ve compiled five tips that will help get you started on the moving process.

1. Lists are your new best friends.

• I don’t know about you, but I love lists – grocery, to-do, reading, shopping- you name it, I turn it into a list.  They are incredibly helpful to keep you on track and remind you of all the important things that will make your move easier.
  • I started out with a list of all the shared items and resources I brought into my apartment and will be taking with me in April.  The purpose of this list is two-fold; it lets any roommates who are staying beyond April know what they will need to replace and it reminds you of all the things you need to bring home so that nothing gets forgotten or claimed by anyone else.  I recommend posting this list on the fridge so all your roommates know what will be going come April.

2. Time to make some money!

• Continuing with tip #1, make a list of all the items you can live without, no longer need, or just don’t want to bring home.  Think of this list as your golden ticket, because just like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it contains amazing wonders-like the power to top up your bank account, start paying off your student debt, or take you on that celebratory vacation you’ve been dreaming about.
  • Assess the items you want to sell based on the condition they’re in, how long you’ve had them, and how much you originally paid for them so you can determine a fair price.  Take pictures of the items and post them on Facebook, Kijiji, or however you like to sell your stuff.
  • If you have roommates sticking around after you leave, give the list to them first.  You might have to give them the friendship discount, but it’ll be worth it because it saves you from having to set up pick up/delivery times with strangers.

3. Cull, it’s the only way to save yourself from being a packrat.

• Start assessing all the contents of your space to see if there are items that you no longer need/don’t really use, but that you want to keep for later use.  This assessment will make your move home that much easier because it allows you to figure out what things can be moved home over reading week.
  • Since Christmas break I’ve slowly started to move home piles of my stuff because you can collect a lot of things over the course of your undergrad career.  I’ve culled my DVD collection, books, wardrobe, cooking supplies, and random odds and ends I kept in the storage room to lighten my big move home.  Multiple mini-moves might seem tedious, but you’ll be thanking me in April when your car(s) and rental truck aren’t overflowing.

4. Dear Rogers, it’s not you, it’s me.

• Time to break up with your internet, cable, and any other services you had set up in London.  These services usually require 30 days notice, but check with your service provider(s) first to make sure you don’t incur any charges for late notification.  
  • If you were the person in charge of the services and you have roommates that are staying after you move out, you need to remind them that the service ends once you leave.  The sooner you do this, the more time they have to shop around for deals and make sure another service is set up for when you leave.

5. Movers Assemble!

• Now it doesn’t sound as cool as “Avengers Assemble!”, but assembling your crew of movers is one of the most important aspects of your move.  These people are the generous (and hopefully strong) friends and family members who will become your own personal superhero squad.  Make sure to give these people advance notice of your moving date(s) so that they can book time off and secure vehicles to make your move easier.
  • Pick your moving day(s) as soon as you get your final exam schedule and notify your crew and your landlord as to when you’ll be leaving.  If you live in an apartment be sure to book elevator times because they are given on a first come/first serve basis.
  • Last, but not least, remember to thank your movers the day(s) of the move and after the move with gifts, dinner out or drinks on you because they are doing you a huge favour.

April might seem like it’s a long time from now, but the rest of the semester is going to fly by.  With the stress of final essays, projects, and exams it’s a really good idea to get as much as you can organized for your move as soon as you can.  Enjoy these last few months at Western and good luck with the big move!

Hey I'm Steph and I'm in my fourth and final year of my Honors Specialization in English Language and Literature. I've enjoyed my time in London, but am ready to take the lessons and skills I have learned outside of the Western bubble. After Western I would like to pursue a career in publishing and explore the world of multiplatform content creation. As a Her Campus writer I am interested in writing articles about every day student life and try to provide students with tips to make their time at Western easier.
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!