20 Reasons You Need To Start Watching ‘The Fosters’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

OK, so I just finished season one…in like a week and I am soooo hooked. Whether you’ve heard of it or not, below are just 20 reasons you need to give this show a chance. Do it… like now. Or at least once you’re done reading this.

1. This show is a breath of fresh air, and you’re doing yourself a disservice having not watched it yet. 

2. Foster teen Callie Jacobs is an incredible character to follow. She’s been through so much and yet still finds the good in people… you can’t help but love her… even when she messes up BIG TIME. She cool, edgy, and it’s beyond heart-warming to cheer her on throughout this journey… Tbh, I pretty much wish we were best friends. 

3. The cast is super TALENTED. With some many emotional topics to handle… this cast impresses like no other. The tears, the laughs, the fights… all seem so geunine. Don’t be surprised if you cry. 

4. Miss Wizards of Waverly Place? Jake T. Austin proves he’s not just the ‘trouble maker kid brother’… he’s turned into a very handsome young man with some serious acting chops… but don’t get TOO attached… he’s replaced after season 2.

5. This family is beautifully blended…something we don’t see enough on TV. Brandon, the eldest child, is the biological son of Stef and her Ex-Husband Mike. Stef and Lena then adopted twins Mariana and Jesus, and later on, meet foster children Callie and Jude, whom they consider adopting as well. “Family isn’t determined by blood, it’s determined by love”.

6. It showcases the real hardships of foster care, and being “in the system”. It doesn’t just skim over the fact that four of the kids had no one else to take care of them… it relfects upon their histories, stories, and each step they’ve taken forward. 

7. This family supports gay rights… in fact, the family is raised by two lesbian moms! 

8. Not only do moms Lena and Stef have the most BEAUTIFUL back yard wedding you’ve ever seen, but they also have a great relationship with Stef’s Ex-husband Mike, keeping him involved in their family’s lives too… showcasing for their kids, that family matters most.  

9. The show tackles topics of sexual abuse and addictions… in a very real way. These issues are not blown out of proportion or overtly dramatized for shock value, but they also aren’t just swept under the rug… And although justice is not always served, the show encourages victims of abuse to speak up and speak out about their truths.

10. Stef and Mike’s son Brandon maintains a relationship with both of his divorced parents, while also accepting his mother’s choice to marry a woman and adopt other children. When asked if he was okay with Mom’s Stef and Lena adopting, he beautifully says that there is just more love to go around.

11. The show introduces strong characters from all racial groups and backgrounds. It also discusses cultural heritage, such as in the episode in which Lena and Stef plan Mariana a Quinceañera, celebrating her hispanic roots. We also meet a family that are illegal immigrants, a fearful reality for many families living in the USA. 

12. It highlights the insecurities that come with abandonment and adoption… something that is rarely talked about in popular media. Adoption is not an easy process, nor does getting adopted solve every issue a foster child may have. The psychological ramifications of the foster care system, and the reasons behind their being there, are damaging and require therapeutic healing. 

13. Jude, Callie’s younger brother, is the cutest, sweetest, kid in the ENTIRE WORLD. 

14. You will love and hate Mariana all at the same time… it’s confusing, but super relatable. She will bring you right back to that age when you thought you knew everything… but really didn’t understand who you were or wanted to be yet. 

15. Lena and Stef’s kids actually go to them to talk. They are incredible parents who actually listen to their kids and even when something goes wrong, they always have eachother’s back. Seeing such positive role models for open communication, especially between teenagers and their parents, is awesome! They also always eat breakfast and dinner together… it’s really sweet. 

16. The show encourages therapy. Such a taboo thing to seek, people are hesitant to believe in the power of therapy… but this show proves it’s worth… things can get better when you make the decision to open up and get help.

17. The writers don’t rush healing. The characters don’t give second chances passively or easily. Respect is earned. The plot lines are real to life… people don’t just forgive, forget, or recover within an hour show. They have real emotions and feel the pain when they are hurt by the one’s they love, for more than just one episode. 

18. Lena and Stef allow their children to believe in whatever they may choose. Having a difficult past being ousted by the church, and her own father, Stef promised to never pressure any one religion upon her children. 

19. The show doesn’t hide away from talking about teen sex and the concequences of being unprotected… they discuss both contraceptives and plan B (the morning after pill). 

20. Seeing some many different lives come together, forming a family that is committed to protecting and helping one another, is something that actually deserves your viewership… it’s also madly entertaining and SO good for the soul. 

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.