10 Things I Want to See in the Gilmore Girls Revival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I am nothing if not a hardcore Gilmore Girls fan. My mom introduced me to the show when I was about 12 years old, and it was love at first sight. Since then, I have watched the whole series at least 10 times. It is my go-to show whenever I am feeling sad or upset and it never fails to cheer me up. Gilmore Girls is also special to me because it is a representation of my relationship with my mom. We see ourselves through Lorelai and Rory and can often be found binge watching the show together. When I heard that Netflix was making Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, I was elated. With less than a week to go until the show is released, here are 10 things I want to see.

Lorelai is involved in April’s life

Luke finding out about April and subsequently not telling Lorelai and then keeping her from being a part of their relationship is arguably the biggest cause of their break up at the end of season six. While I am not the biggest fan of the whole April storyline, what bothered me most about it was not April’s mere existence, but the fact that Luke was so against having Lorelai meet and get to know April. It was hard to watch Lorelai get hurt as she was excluded from this big part of Luke’s life and even though I was sad when they broke up, I ultimately thought it was the best thing for Lorelai. She had made herself small and been isolated for too long, and had to put herself first. Now that she and Luke appear to have reconciled and are together, my hope is that history doesn’t repeat itself, and Lorelai is a part of April’s life.

Hep Alien is still together

When we last saw Hep Alien, Lane and Zack were new parents to twin boys and the band seemed to be on a break. My hope for the new episodes is that Hep Alien is still together and have found success

Rory finds happiness, regardless of her relationship status

One of the biggest questions people are asking about the revival is who Rory will end up with. While this is a question that also weighs on my mind, I don’t think It is the most important thing. Regardless of if Rory ends up with Dean, Jess, Logan or someone different altogether, my hope for Rory is that she’s achieving her goals, has found her purpose in life and is happy.

Stars Hollow is still full interesting characters

Half the fun of Gilmore Girls is all of the fun characters that populate Stars Hollow. While I’m more interested about what Rory and Lorelai have been up to for the last 10 years, I’m eager to learn about what has been happening to Stars Hollow. Will we finally get to meet Al from Al’s Pancake World? Has Taylor finally managed to buy all of Stars Hollow? Are Babette and Miss Patty still their wonderful, sassy selves? These are all questions I want answered in the new episodes.

A tribute to Richard

When Ed Herrman died in 2014, I was devastated. What is Gilmore Girls without Richard Gilmore? My hope is that the new episodes pay tribute to Richard and Ed.

Emily is finding her way after Richard’s death

With Richard gone, Emily has to begin a new chapter of her life as a widow. Based on what I’ve seen in the trailers, I’m loving the new direction Emily has taken and I’m eager to see how she navigates her life without Richard.

Kirk and Lulu are still together and have started a family

Kirk is truly a unique character, and it made me happy when he found Lulu, who was unique as he is and genuinely loved him for who he is, quirks and all. My hope for the new episodes is that they are still together and have started a family together.

Sookie and Lorelai are still best friends

When I heard that Melissa McCarthy may not be coming back for the new episodes, I was sad, but not that surprised given her success following Gilmore Girls. But how could there be a Gilmore Girls without Sookie? Thankfully, she confirmed that she will appear in at least one of the episodes. Lorelai and Sookie are the ultimate BFF’s who are always there for each other  and have each other’s backs. We can all learn something about friendship from their relationship.

Paris has conquered the world

Paris Gellar was one of my favourite characters and continues to be an inspiration in my life. The original girl boss, Paris knew what she wanted and was determined, stopping at nothing until she reached her goals. She stayed true to who she was and was unapologetic about her personality. Whether she’s become a surgeon, a judge, or the ruler of a country, I hope that Paris has conquered the world in some way.

Lorelai and Rory are still the Gilmore Girls

Above all, my hope for the new episodes is that despite how much has changed in their lives since we last saw them, Lorelai and Rory’s relationship hasn’t changed a bit, and they are still the Gilmore girls that we know and love.

Alex Hawkins

Western '21

Alex is doing a master's degree in library and information science. She graduated with a BA in psychology and criminology in 2019. She previously served as co-Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Western. Follow her on insta @alexhawkins65.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.