10 Reasons The Media Really Needs To Stop Asking Selena Gomez About Her Purity Ring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

In light of the (many) recent articles being published about the “Good For You” singers chaste past, @SelenaGomez took to Twitter on August 25th to voice her frustrations.

“Disappointing seeing interviews I’ve done recently that sound like the exact same interview I did when I was 16…”

“I just want to release the album already.. I’m ready for people to know who I am NOW.”

“Print/type who I am NOW and stop being afraid it won’t give your website hits”

Selena makes a REALLY important point (Good For You!).So naturally, here’s my rant… (broken down into 10 points)… on why we seriously need to leave Selena’s sex life (or lack their of) alone.

10. Her choice to wear a purity ring (when she was 13 YEARS OLD ) is her business and not yours.

9. She was 13 and likely not thinking about having sex in the near future… so, wearing this ring was valid, AT THE TIME.

8. PEOPLE CHANGE THEIR MINDS… they also mature and grow up. Perspectives change. Selena Gomez is allowed to change her mind.

7. Selena Gomez is an intelligent woman capable of self-control. She is also capable of making her OWN DECISIONS, with or without a ring. She realized this.

6. Why are we bringing up something that was a headline in 2009? This story offers NO TRUTH or VALUE as to the person she has become and the things she is actively doing now. 

5. Why are we so concerned about celebrities’ decisions in love and sex? Are we SO obsessed with scandal that we want to remind Selena that she broke a public promise? Are we trying to shame her? WHY in the world would we do this? WHY in the world do we care?

4. If your biggest concern is why Selena took off her purity ring OVER 5 YEARS AGO, you really need to go read a newspaper.

3. Why do we never seem to focus on what Selena is actually famous for? Did you forget she’s an actress and a singer? Or do you just care what she had for lunch. Sure, she chose to live life in the spotlight, but give the girl SOME credit over things that she is ACTUALLY famous for.

2. We all made decisions as 13 year olds that do not reflect the personal beliefs we hold now as young adults. We were completely different people, living completely different lives, with very different ideas of what the world is like. Let Selena put her PAST in the PAST too.

1. No matter how badly you wish you could have also had the opportunity to have sex with Justin Bieber, Selena’s sex life is Selena’s sex life, just like your sex life is your sex life… (And if we’re being honest… you should probably be more concerned about your own).

Ok… rant over. 

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.