This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Adults quite often get criticized for reading Young Adult Novels. They are told to read something more advanced, that the genre was not written for them, or that they are just being immature. But who made up these rules? I say that all reading is good reading. So if you want to read a YA novel do not let anyone stop you. Even better, I have created mini playlists for some YA novels you might not have heard of and I think should be promoted. 

The New David Espinoza by Fred Aceves: This YA Novel follows the main character David Espinoza and the summer after he is publicly humiliated by fellow classmates. David makes drastic life changes that are not always the most beneficial for his well-being but he feels he needs to redeem himself. He deals with a variety of different dilemmas including confronting his own body dysmorphia in an environment filled with toxic masculinity. I personally give this book three out of five stars.

Playlist 

1. Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars (2014)

2. Mean by Taylor Swift (2010)

3. Ain’t It Fun by Paramore (2013)

4. play this when i’m gone by MGK (2020)

5. Man in the Mirror by Micheal Jackson (1988)

Uglies by Scott Westerfield: In this YA novel, you are taken into the future. Tally lives in a society where being beautiful is the most important thing. On your 16th birthday, you are given surgery to be turned Pretty forever. She meets a new friend Shay who decides that she does not want to be turned Pretty. Tally must contemplate her society’s values, and her friends to help discover her own. Again this book is a solid three out of five stars.

Playlist

1. Material Girl by Madonna (1984)

2. Scars to your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (2015)

3. Who Says by Selena Gomez (2011)

4. Born this way by Lady Gaga (2011)

5. Bad Blood by Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar (2014)

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell: Karana becomes stranded on an Island after her community evacuates. She learns to live on her own and survive, with her enemies the island’s wild dogs and a seal-hunting tribe. This novel is based on a true story. I really enjoyed reading this as a child and have reread it multiple times. 4 out of 5 stars.

Playlist

1. Survivor by Destiny’s Child (2001)

2. Fight Song by Rachel Platten (2014)

3. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor (1978)

4.  See you again by Wiz Khalifa (2015)  

5. Don’t Stop Believing by Journey (1981)

The Summer of Moonlight Secrets by Danette Haworth: Allie Jo discovers new friends when she moves to a hotel in Florida. She and her friend Chase find hidden rooms and secret pathways within the hotel. Allie Jo’s new friend Tara is a little different, she has shimmery skin, long hair, and a pendant that is affected by the moonlight. I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Playlist

1. Summer by Calvin Harris (2014)

2. Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Rey (2012)

3. Part of your World by The Little Mermaid (1989)

4. Oath by Cher Llyod (2011)

5. Famous Friends by Kane Brown and Chris Young (2021)

Because of Winn Dixie by Katie DiCamillo: Opal moves to a new town with her father who she calls the preacher. She was abandoned by her mother many years ago and makes it her mission to learn about her. It is through her new friends, and new dog Winn Dixie that she learns if you love something you must set it free, if it loves you it will come back. I absolutely love this book and give it five out five stars.

Playlist.

1. Something in the Orange by Zach Bryan (2022)

2. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston (1992)

3. Cracker Jack by Dolly Parton (1974)

4. Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland (2010)

5. Hurricane by Luke Combs (2016)

I do recognize that a lot of these songs are from the early to late 2000s which corresponds with my childhood, and these are YA novels, so that makes plenty of sense to me. If you like the vibes in these playlists then you definitely want to go to the library and check out the accompanying book.

Julia Harpel

West Chester '23

Julia Harpel is a senior editor and student at West Chester University. She is working towards her BSED English Writings Track with a Creative Writing Minor. She hopes to one day earn a Master's Degree. Julia is a mental health advocate, environmentalist, and feminist. When she is not at school, at work, writing, or reading, she loves to spend time with friends, go on adventures such as kayaking, and listen to country music.