This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

“I have to start calculus, the fun has to stop. I am taking it too easy,” my friend said, on the Tuesday after Spring Break. I reassured them, “it’s only the second day back, it’s okay to relax.” I heard several other people who shared the same mindset as my friend. If you are doing the same, I am here to remind you to: take it easy

Over spring break, I visited Lisbon Portugal, more to come on my experiences and time there soon! I was infatuated by everything. The food, the streets, the people, and specifically, the lifestyle. The “European lifestyle” is real–everyone and everything is slow-paced and relaxed. Store owners only arrive at their workplace at 9 am and open their stores a few minutes after.
At restaurants, the servers will write down your order or bring you the check when you request it. One night, my sister asked our waiter for the check. He saw that she was still eating her meal, and said, “I will bring you the check once you are finished eating.” He wanted her to take her time. Who am I, if not embarrassing, so here’s a funny story for you: during dinner, our waitress took away my plate in preparation for the next course. They are fancy over there. My sisters didn’t finish the last piece of tuna, and I wasn’t going to let the mouth-watering food go to waste; so I started chowing down before the waitress came to take it away. She comes over and says, “it’s okay, you don’t have to rush.” Other than the fact that that was incredibly embarrassing, it perfectly described the European lifestyle. They encourage you to take your time and go at your own pace. It was so refreshing, but at the same time, it took a lot of time to get used to. In the beginning, I was quietly impatient as I waited for my check at restaurants or for help in the market. I had to learn to adapt to this new lifestyle and mindset because it was something I had never known before. 

In America, we are the complete opposite. According to a Pew Research Study, 73% of Americans agree that “hard work is very important for getting ahead in life”, while 35% of Europeans agree with this statement. Living in a capitalist society, we are raised to be work-focused. We live to work–the only way to survive (to pay rent and purchase groceries.). Europeans are not consumed by work, instead work is a part of their life.  If we/Americans are not working, we feel guilty. If we are not stressed, we wonder what we are doing wrong. Some people have part-time jobs outside of their full-time positions, and others are working multiple part-time shifts. Students are in school, working towards their careers, while balancing a part-time job and other activities. This is normal to us and it begins at a young age. 

I cannot tell you to fully adopt a European mindset, or stop caring about work because it is the only way to survive in America. I also cannot tell you to pack up your life and move to Europe (but, if I could, I would). However, we should shift our mindset. Instead of prioritizing work only, prioritize work and something that is important to you (ex. journaling or exercising). Society makes us believe that we have to choose between one or the other, but that should not be the case. It should not be either/or. Personally, my mental health is important to me, but my school work is too. So, throughout the day, I support myself academically and mentally. For example, I allow myself breaks during study sessions–whether that is fueling my body with food, talking to my friends about our day, or calling my mom. Also, I do work in environments that make me feel calm and my experience more enjoyable. My friend and I started a new tradition where we explore different coffee shops throughout the month and choose our favorite place to do our work.

I definitely recommend May Day– it is a super cute coffee/flower shop; in fact, their mission statement is to shine a light on mental health. I understand that it is challenging to change our mindsets #academicweaponry; however, it is far from impossible. 

Although she was talking about heartbreak, Adele, my queen, said it best, “take it easy on me.” Instead of romantic heartache, I dedicate this song to a capitalist one. I encourage you to ease back into the academic lifestyle. Remember to take breaks and do something that you enjoy–whether that is scrolling on TikTok for 20 minutes or reading a chapter of a book. This is a kind reminder to be more European and to take it easy.

Rachel Jason

West Chester '26

Rachel Jason is an Elementary Education major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. Rachel's love for writing began in her pink diary and watching reruns of Rory Gilmore becoming the next Christiane Amanpour. She is ready to spark conversations on white privilege, self-love, and her favorite foods! With her beautiful readers, Rachel is ecstatic to explore the world and all it has to offer.