Style

Spring Cleaning Your Closet: Eco-Conscious Wardrobe Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

With warm weather just around the corner, Spring fever is kicking in. At West Chester University, Spring Break begins any moment, and the rush to clean (and re-clean) our space is building up. A year into the COVID-19 Pandemic, remaining at home and resorting to activities such as cleaning out closets is still on the list for those staying safe indoors. Since Springtime is coming once again, there is no better way to spend free time and heat waves than straightening up the nest.

Step 1: Lay it all out

If you need a closet cleanout, start by dumping everything out to the center of your room. A good reference to go by is Netflix’s documentary, “Tidying Up,” by Marie Kondo. The method of prioritizing meaning to your items became more and more popular in recent years. Another helpful documentary that veers into the aspect of personal sustainability is “Minimalism.” on Netflix. Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus have paved the way for anti-consumerism and simple living. Think about what you have and why you have it; clothing, especially.

Step 2: Purge

To get rid of what you no longer want or need to own, think about where it will end up going. Throwing things away hurts the environment, one clothing article at a time, so how can you guarantee your old sweater goes to a home? Avoid dumping bags off at the thrift store, and take control of your personal waste footprint. Resell apps and websites like eBay, Depop, ThredUp, and Poshmark are amazing outlets to connect and have fun thrifting and reselling. The “KonMari” method follows the structure of determining what clothing, letters, and personal items truly “spark joy.” Some clothing apps have “cleanout bag” services that allow you to send a bag of old clothing to a donation site to be resold or recycled properly. Brass Clothing has this service as well as ThredUp.

Step 3: Organize

Once you condensed your closet or collection down to a tee, (pun intended,) find ways to store or hang clothing in a way that is appealing, and inventive. Upcycling old baskets to store socks, shoes, and scarves is the way to go. Megan Batoon on YouTube organized her closet with hanging dividers, solid-colored hangers, and baskets. I personally upcycle fabric to cover boxes with and use them to hold leggings, bralettes, and activewear. From decorating boxes for storage to hanging new hooks, there are tons of hacks to organize while being conscious of waste and consumption!

Step 4: Think Ahead

Thinking of getting some new pieces? Take your time to carefully plan what you truly want, what fits, and what will last a lifetime. Natural materials like cotton and linen are always better for you and your environment since a lot of clothing items tend to be made from synthetic material today. Thrifting apps are also perfect places to check before venturing off to any other source. This helps to reduce waste and avoid any regret when purchasing.

Step 5: Consider Other Things in Need of Organizing

If you find yourself seeking out new places to clean, take an extra look at places you would not normally think of. Figuring out which makeup is too old to use and which books are full of dust is a nice way to keep everything in order. If you lack a bit of consistency in your life with the new season coming in, little things like this can help. I like to turn on my favorite playlists and clean my room if I am feeling down. The hobby is a beloved quarantine pleasure but can help get into a brighter mindset while temperatures change.

Emily Hart

Enjoy your refreshed space while the birds begin to chirp and the flowers start to bloom again. Spring cleaning can get done in environmentally-friendly ways, especially when it comes to wardrobe. There is something super joyful about giving a little new beginning to your closet or home. It is a chance to say good-bye to the old and hello to more happiness. A little bit of adjustment and rearranging helps to freshen up the air in and outdoors.

Kristine Kearns is a second-year student at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. She is working towards her Bachelor of English degree, focusing on writing, creative writing, and sustainability. Kristine is a nature-loving poet who loves to develop her creative passions. She plans to write books as well as work in writing, publishing, and editing.
Contributor account.