Wellness

My Journey with Therapy: Is It Time to Begin Yours?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Similar to most people during COVID-19, I spent much of my time in isolation and in my own presence. Although I learned to love quality time with myself, I spent a lot of time in my thoughts and self-reflection. I realized that I needed help battling my mental health illnesses and other circumstances in my life. I yearned for someone– someone who would validate my experiences while holding me accountable, someone who would provide advice and clarity, someone who would not judge me, and simply someone who would listen. This someone was a therapist, and it took me three years to finally contact one. 

“Speak out, seek help,” the infographic said. I read this countless times as I searched for a counseling service. It sounds a lot easier than it truly is. I was raised in an environment where mental health was not discussed, at least not publicly. Due to the mental health stigma, therapy is seen as a negative and unnecessary concept. Although it is becoming a more accepted idea in American society, the stigma is deeply rooted in my Indian culture, my Indian ancestry. Therefore, I was nervous to discuss my mental health with my parents, nevertheless ask for a therapist. I did not know when it was the “right time” to begin the conversation, or if the “right time” existed. What if I say the wrong thing and their reaction is negative?  I did not want to feel invalidated. I didn’t want them to blame themselves. I did not know if I could explain my side of the story to its fullest extent, without breaking any personal boundaries.

I’d be lying if I said that my environment was the only reason stopping me from reaching out to someone. It took time for me to come to terms with the fact that I was a reason. It surprised me that I longed for therapy; yet, I did not pick up the phone to call a provider. I was holding myself back because I was scared to ask for help. I became accustomed to helping myself by: journaling my thoughts, listening to music and singing my emotions, and receiving a hug from my doggy. These coping mechanisms are still great; however, I was at a point where it was not enough. A month ago I realized that I was beginning to change– my emotions and attitude became negative. I did not like how sad and isolated I felt. I wanted to improve; therefore, I found the courage to dial the number to West Chester University’s Counseling Center. 

If you attend West Chester University, these are the steps find a counseling service perfect for you (if you do not attend WCU, your school may offer counseling services with similar steps): 

1. Contact the counseling center by call or email 
  2. You will be contacted to schedule a triage appointment – 20 minute phone call with a service provider where they ask you a few questions
  3. Choose counseling service: 1-1 counseling session or group therapy
  4. Schedule an appointment with a therapist that can serve your needs and goals in therapy 
  5. Link to West Chester University’s Counseling Center Website: https://www.wcupa.edu/_services/counselingCenter/ 

I am proud to say that this week marks 5-weeks of my journey with therapy. Therapy is not linear. Everyone heals at their own pace and in different ways, using various methods. To anyone considering therapy, I encourage you to face your fear. Therapy may be a great experience for you, or it may not. But like many things in this world, how will we ever know until we try? You may sit in silence during your first session, or share your deepest secrets. Everyone is different, and everyone’s experiences are valid. Learn to be okay with vulnerability and find strength in yourself. Maybe today is the day you will contact someone, and if it isn’t, that’s okay too. Hopefully one day it will be and that is all that matters.

Rachel Jason

West Chester '26

Rachel Jason is an Elementary Education major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. Rachel's love for writing began in her pink diary and watching reruns of Rory Gilmore becoming the next Christiane Amanpour. She is ready to spark conversations on white privilege, self-love, and her favorite foods! With her beautiful readers, Rachel is ecstatic to explore the world and all it has to offer.