Limit Your Horizons: 4 Binge Worthy Limited Series On Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

As much as I yearn for the good old days when popular television dramas would churn out 24 episodes of 45-minute masterpieces, sometimes the only thing a busy college student can squeeze into their schedule is a limited series. As an avid consumer and a certified fangirl of lengthy shows like One Tree Hill, Pretty Little Liars, and Grey’s Anatomy, I would often kick myself for zipping through a limited series in just one sitting. Never prepared for the emotional hole 10 episodes would leave within my heart, I would scour Netflix for the next best series, only to finish that one disappointingly fast as well. So, if you are willing to pay the emotional debt, keep reading to unravel my four favorite limited series on Netflix. 

disclaimer

A couple of the series introduce rather heavy, and possibly triggering, topics such as sexual assault and domestic violence. 

the watcher

In October of 2022, Netflix released a limited series by the name of The Watcher. This story is based upon a true one; rather, a nightmare than a story. The afflicted family, the Brannocks, invest in the house of their dreams in Westfield, New Jersey. During the move-in and renovation process, the Brannocks, a family of two parents, a son, and a daughter, receive the first of many cryptic letters. Each letter, escalating in intensity and threat, is determined to frighten the family of four, and notify them of The Watcher’s hovering presence. The parents, intent on revealing the identity of this figure and putting an end to the fear flooding their home, launch an investigation of their own. Along the way, they uncover several shocking discoveries about their new neighborhood and home.

I am all for a good thriller, but this series made my skin crawl. I loved it and hated it at the same time. I loved the eerie vibe, blood-curdling details, and fast-paced narrative that glued my eyes to the screen. I hated, however, attempting to fall asleep shortly after watching it. Not being able to shake the feeling that “The Watcher” was in my room, I shamelessly admit that I slept with the TV on for a few nights afterwards. If you are braver than me, though, I invite you to endure these seven episodes of pure anxiety. 

Maid

If you’re seeking out a truly heart wrenching emotional rollercoaster that will leave you staring at the wall wondering what you willingly just put yourself through, Netflix’s Maid has you covered. Maid tells the harrowing story of a young woman, Alex, and her two-year-old daughter, Maddy, who are both caught in the crossfire of Alex’s abusive boyfriend (also Maddy’s father). Throughout the ten-episode series, Alex gracefully embodies the courage and strength it takes for women to abandon their abusive relationships. Through the ups and downs, and the fleeting “he loves me, he loves me not” moments, Alex realistically portrays the internal struggles of a domestic abuse victim. Feeling stuck in an emotionally manipulative relationship with her boyfriend, and struggling to make ends meet, we eventually see Alex blossom into a fearless mother, loyal friend, and inspiring young woman.

Before you decide to dive into Maid, I must provide a trigger warning, as this series broaches the very heavy, and very real, topic of domestic abuse. Although I have no first hand experience with the subject, Maid somehow brought it to life for me. I would often put myself in Alex’s shoes and wonder what kind of decisions I would make in her position. Would I have the strength to leave? At first, I thought, of course I would. Who would ever stay in such a hostile environment? As I became increasingly submerged in each episode, however, I found myself making the same excuses that Alex makes to reunite with her boyfriend. When she forgives him for his barbaric actions and short temper, I do too. The ironic part is that I hadn’t even realized I was doing it. But that is exactly what I admired about this series. Alex’s story is so dynamic and  influential that it has the power to fully immerse the viewer into her own experiences, rather than merely forcing them to watch an empty story unfold.

The haunting of hill house

Switching gears back to shows that scared the living daylights out of me, I must touch on The Haunting of Hill House, a 2018 adaptation of Shirley Jackson’s novel. The series follows the story of the five Crain children from their childhood to adulthood, and the sinister memories they carry along the way. The Crains, a family of seven, move into Hill House with high hopes that it would evolve into their dream home. Initially unaware of the ominous ailments that plague their new house, the Crains unveil the haunting truths that loom over Hill House, eventually driving them out in the middle of the night. However, out of the seven members that move in, only six make it out. Morphing into adulthood, but still grieving the events of that fateful night, the children are forced to face the ghosts that pervade their pasts. In doing so, they are thrust into confronting the dreadful grounds of Hill House once and for all.

For me, this was an “only watch during the day with your mom right next to you” type of show. The eerily realistic visuals and unsettling flashbacks of the house kept me on the edge of my seat throughout all ten episodes. I cannot rationally explain why I perpetually put myself through this saga of creepy television, but I keep crawling back to this series every Halloween season. In addition to catering to my morbid curiosity, this series fed off my compassion and sensitivity in order to connect me to the characters. I found myself sympathizing with the youngest Crain child, and relating to her frustrations around not being taken seriously as the baby of the family. If it were possible to reach through the screen and hug a character, I would hug her, and I fear that I would never let go.   

unbelievable

I’ll admit that I strategically saved this series for last in the hopes that, if nothing else, you’ll take the time to watch the eight extraordinary episodes of Netflix’s Unbelievable. This 2019 eye-opening series, based on a true story, recounts the painful, yet remarkable, survival experience of a young woman reeling from the trauma of a sexual assault she endures. After reporting the attack, the young survivor, Marie, is accused of lying by the two male detectives assigned to the case, and conceals herself from the public eye as a result. 

Around the same time of Marie’s assault, two trailblazing female detectives in a separate county work together to catch a serial rapist who has devastated the lives of several women. The probing question the viewers are left asking throughout each episode is if they will crack the case in time to serve justice for Marie.

Unbelievable provides a painstakingly authentic depiction of the consequential trauma that sexual assault victims suffer through. From rage, to compassion, to sorrow, to frustration, this series will offer you all the feelings. That being said, I strongly urge you to watch this series to educate yourself on the pressing matter of sexual assault, and how we can end the stigma surrounding survivors.

final word

As I’m sure you can tell, I tend to dabble in the darker side of the Netflix labyrinth. And so, if you’re seeking out a comedy special, this is not the place to be. Here, we voluntarily inflict emotional and psychological wounds upon ourselves, leaving us to elevate our cinematic expectations time and time again. Don’t let this deter you, however. To counter the heartache, you are granted consistent entertainment and awareness of societal issues that a comedy simply cannot offer. 

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1(800) 799-SAFE (7233) or visit thehotline.org

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you can call the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org.

Riley Thornton

West Chester '26

Riley is a sophomore secondary English education student at West Chester University. When she is not pursuing her passion for writing and literature, she can be found jogging around campus, discovering new coffee shops, or binging "Friends" for the 20th time! Riley enjoys exploring the grounds of pop culture, mental health, current trends, and popular reads!