Let’s Talk About: Sports – How to be Your Biggest Sports Fan!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

There are several worldly facts I am knowledgeable about: pi is 3.14159265359, the capital of China is Beijing, sea otters hold hands while they sleep, Russia is the largest country in the world (based on area), and snails can take naps up to 3 years. However, one thing I do not know much about is sports. Ever since I was younger, sports and I have never mixed for two reasons:  I was afraid to try out for the school team, and deep down I knew that I lacked any athletic bone in my body. Therefore, I was not interested in sports until my city won the Super Bowl championship, beginning my journey as a bandwagon– go baseball…! I learned that most sports fans are die-hard fans and that I will stand out since I don’t even know our football team’s quarterback. They are their biggest fans, their #1 supporters. 

As I thought about the loyalty of sports fans, I began to wonder where that loyalty for myself is. Think about itAre you your own biggest fan? Society teaches us to put others before ourselves– support, validate, and love others. Therefore, we do not spend enough time and energy supporting and loving ourselves. It is important to be like the sports fans and treat ourselves the way they treat their favorite team. We must be our biggest fans by supporting and loving ourselves. 

The definition of support is encouraging someone to achieve their greatest desires and goals. Eagles fans show support by hollering in 40-degree weather during football season. The Yankees fans support the team by cheering the players on in 90-degree weather during baseball season. They are ready to support their team in any condition and through any obstacles. Whether or not the team wins, the sports fan will stand by their side and continue to chant their name. We must follow in their footsteps and be that support system for ourselves. As humans, we may face obstacles that we feel like we can not overcome, however, with a little bit of encouragement we are capable of anything. Rather than looking for support from others, find support within yourselves. How can you support yourself? 

Be patient with yourself: this is your first time experiencing life and all of its complexities, so it is okay if you are struggling. 

Speak words of affirmations/encouragement: in reality, you are the only person who knows what you need to hear, or what words will encourage you the most. Therefore, spend time speaking to yourself in a kind and supportive manner. 

Meditate on your thoughts, emotions, and experiences: it is vital to distract yourself from the bustle of the world and take time to sit with yourself in silence using different techniques (journaling, meditating, yoga, etc.). Everyone is supportive in different ways, so, do what is best for you as you learn how to be your biggest supporter. 

The concept of ‘loving yourself’ has become more popular and widespread throughout the years. Self-love is the practice of appreciating oneself physically, mentally, and emotionally. On the big game day, sports fans demonstrate their love by dressing up in their team’s jersey, colors, and other spirit wear. If an individual moves to a new city, they will most likely stay loyal to their hometown’s team because their love runs very deep.  Even if the fans are screaming in frustration at the players or coaches throughout the game, they will always love their team. We must follow their ways by showing love to ourselves every day– both good and bad days. We are taught to prioritize others over ourselves and meet their needs rather than our own. However, it is important to take care of our own needs and well-being before others. We deserve everything the world has to offer, so why settle for less? Why settle for a form of love that does not suffice what we truly deserve? The simple answer is don’t, rather find love within yourself. How can you practice self-love? Spend time with yourself: do activities that you enjoy by yourself such as going to the museum, indulging in a new book, or going on a nature walk. Participate in creative activities (painting, scrapbooking, or journaling): as you allow your mind to flow, you become more in tune with your emotions and who you are.

Additionally, take care of yourself: paint your nails, partake in retail therapy, or watch your comfort movie/TV series in your own company. Self-love looks different for everyone because we take care of ourselves in different and various ways. Therefore, it is important to explore different techniques and learn what works best for you. This is your self-love journey in becoming your #1 fan. 

Society trains us to criticize ourselves, including our emotions, experiences, and appearance. Could you imagine if sports fans would solely critique their city’s team? The team would not win and be successful, nor would they feel good about themselves. The same applies to us. If we spend our precious time and energy finding fault within ourselves, will we ever truly feel successful and happy? Make it part of your daily routine to love and support yourself. Create time for self-love activities because only you can truly support yourself in the best way possible. Be your own biggest fan, not a bandwagon, but a #1 die-hard fan. 

Rachel Jason

West Chester '26

Rachel Jason is an Elementary Education major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. Rachel's love for writing began in her pink diary and watching reruns of Rory Gilmore becoming the next Christiane Amanpour. She is ready to spark conversations on white privilege, self-love, and her favorite foods! With her beautiful readers, Rachel is ecstatic to explore the world and all it has to offer.