This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

An Interview with RJ 

Campus celebrities are a significant part of my life and college experience. My friends and I call them our “guardian angels.” Guardian angels are people that you see constantly on campus, yet you do not know a single fact about them, whether it be their name or favorite animal. Although there is a strong sense of mystery to them, their presence fills you with comfort as you encounter them at any random moment of your day. 

I began to think about this idea of “campus celebrities.” There is no policy in the rule book against befriending your guardian angel or having a conversation with them. This thought led to a new one–why don’t we get to know these famous characters in our life? 

In America, we are accustomed to an individualistic mindset. It is an innate behavior because it is all we know. We only care about ourselves, and at most, our innermost circle. We do not go the extra mile to get to know the other characters around us. Do you know the name of your neighborhood mail carrier? Do you engage in small talk with the chefs at the dining hall? A simple “hello” can broaden our perspective about the individual and about the world around us. Today I am writing about my experience trying this philosophy–I sat down with one of my college guardian angels, and am so grateful that I did. 

Every day, I spent at least 2-3 hours at the on-campus Starbucks. I sat in the same place, across from the cash register, completing all of my assignments with pencils and papers sprawled across the table. I noticed RJ during my first few visits at the on-campus Starbucks. Something about him always intrigued me (and my attraction to him only made the lore stronger, let’s be real). He worked in the coffee shop every day, and I came to find out that he was one of the central managers of it. Because of RJ and the other hardworking Starbucks employees, college students are able to grab their coffee, which is energy fuel for many, on the go. Although he seemed reserved, anyone would know that he was both a kind and humble man. I could especially see it in his smile after our brief interactions while he wrote down my order.

On February 5th, 2024, I decided to interview RJ, and here is what I learned. Originally from North Philadelphia, RJ began working as a barista in a local Starbucks during his teenage years. At 15 years old, he became homeless, so his home became Starbucks. “At night when they would kick me out, I came back the next day after school because I had nowhere else to go.” Although he has spent seven years working at Starbucks, his go-to is a Green Tea Latte from Dunkin Donuts. He also enjoys English Breakfast Tea with a pump of vanilla syrup. Local to him, there is a coffee shop on South Street where he indulges in a Lavender Tea. 

Even while facing lifes’ challenges, RJ graduated with a high school diploma and is currently continuing his educational career at the Community College of Philadelphia. He is an architecture major with a minor in fashion design. As an architect, he believes it’s about “being artsy in your own space.” Architecture allows him to put his ideas into a reality; whether it comes in the form of a house or building furniture. In 2013, as the Jordan shoes trend took off, his love for fashion began. He used clothes and shoes as a way to express how he felt; and now he wants to be part of the design process to help consumers feel the same way. 

As I previously mentioned, RJ worked at the coffee shop every day–running around, holding it down, and completing his tasks. So, I asked him about what keeps him going, and what makes him want to come to work every day. He says, “I feel like if you don’t do anything with your day, you just rot. So, I do my job because if I am working towards a goal, I will put in the work.” RJ doesn’t like to sit around, he tends to fill his off days with activities that align with his passions and values. 

His passions vary from fashion, music, and family. The choice of music ranges from Rock to Rap to Lauryn Hill, Nirvana or Kid Cudi. He begins every morning listening to the soft, angelic voice of Erykah Badu. Sometimes, he dabbles in creating his own music by playing the guitar. He meditates, prays, and finds peace with being outdoors, and “being out there with nature.” His quiet place is the East Coast beaches during the Winter, where he sits and listens to the natural sounds around him. He is aware of the world around him, and the deeper meaning of the people’s actions. His greatest value in life is love. “I feel like it’s the hardest thing to find; yet, it is the reason why we are put on this Earth. 

As he strives to become the person he hopes to be–RJ has experienced both small and large achievements in his life. His biggest accomplishment is going back to college; at first he had straight As, but then got caught up in the Philadelphia culture, so he went on a hiatus. Two years later, he is back in school and is a successful, motivated college student. Although his future is still unclear, he hopes to leave Philadelphia and move to New York City or San Francisco. His love for cities is strong, “people can be themselves in the city. In towns, you have to abide by the town norms. But, in cities, people can be weird and wear crazy clothing.” 

RJ’s favorite animal is a turtle because of their wisdom and calm energy. “I feel like if I were an animal, I’d be a turtle,” he chuckles.  With a dad who is a strong Cowboy’s fan, RJ stays true to the team. His favorite movie is Zombieland 1 & 2, “it’s just a funny zombie movie.” The Regular Show and Family Guy are only two of the many cartoons he loves. His celebrity crush ranges from the beautiful Erykah Badu to the eccentric Siouxsie from Siouxsie and the Banshees, a 70s rock band. At 20 years old, he got his first tattoo. 13 tattoos later, and more to come, each one has a deeper meaning and a specific placement. 

I end our time together by asking RJ for any advice he has for the world. “Honestly, just be yourself. Everyone is out here mimicking each other, whether it is the things that they like or the music that they like. People don’t even know who they truly are.” He continues by saying that he has found himself, “I can go outside in a tank top and drawers and feel comfortable. I don’t care about what people think about me. Everybody already has a perception of me, and how they feel about me is how they feel about me, but that doesn’t change how I feel about myself.” 

I thank RJ for the time he spent with me, his vulnerability, and the stories he shared. Every person on this Earth has a story to share (even if it is about their favorite animal), and it all begins with a hello. 

Rachel Jason

West Chester '26

Rachel Jason is an Elementary Education major with a minor in Journalism at West Chester University. Rachel's love for writing began in her pink diary and watching reruns of Rory Gilmore becoming the next Christiane Amanpour. She is ready to spark conversations on white privilege, self-love, and her favorite foods! With her beautiful readers, Rachel is ecstatic to explore the world and all it has to offer.