This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Let’s be honest, we all have a love-hate relationship with Instagram. While the app is a wonderful way to connect with your family and friends, it also makes us more prone to judge others and to judge ourselves. Although you might love seeing a picture of your best friend at the beach on your timeline, it also might make you view your body poorly. Ultimately, we compare ourselves to one another on Instagram, and the measuring stick we use are “likes.”

However, there is a solution. On July 17th, Instagram announced that they are testing a new method in which the number of likes on posts will no longer be visible. While users can see their own like counts, their followers cannot. Instagram is currently testing this strategy on users in seven different countries, including Canada, Australia, and Brazil.

(From @Instagram on Twitter)

The effects of these changes are mixed. A recent article by the Huffington Post reports that the removal of likes has increased engagement on Instagram. Canadian users report posting more often and worrying less about social acceptance. Through removing the anxieties users feel due to likes, Instagram can become a more genuine platform for people to express themselves and their uniqueness. However, the removal of likes for influencers might result in a decreased income. Influencers are people with large followings on social media accounts, who partner with companies to promote their goods. Many influencers make large amounts of money through their posts and are now worried that they might be out of a job. Also, some users have been experiencing difficulties seeing their friends posts due to Instagram removing chronological order, and they worry that removing likes will only enhance this problem. Although certain groups are not the most excited about these changes, the general consensus is that the removal of likes has increased users’ satisfaction with the app.

The removal of likes is not the only effort Instagram has made to address mental health concerns. According to a recent article by The Insider, Instagram announced on September 18th that it would be restricting the number of dietary advertisements available to users. Certain weight loss and cosmetic surgery posts which include purchase incentives will be hidden from viewers known to be under the age of 18. The new restrictions are an effort to reduce the spread of negative body image, especially in young teens who are more sensitive to these issues. Overall, Instagram’s efforts to address the way their app affects mental health problems is truly remarkable. Instagram’s recent changes have been widely recognized, and other companies like Facebook are also now considering removing the like button. With the current mental health epidemic in America, it is important that large companies who have a voice in society draw attention to these issues and show their concern.

The hope is that these changes help users see that their status or level of attraction is not measured by how many likes they get. Hopefully, young people will start to use social media as a way to express themselves, rather than prove themselves. Hopefully, the significance of social media will be reduced, and these changes will make room for more energy to be devoted to the enjoyment of real-life experiences.

So, next time you see a picture of your hot bestie on the beach, try not to let their enjoyment become your negativity. Use Instagram to express your uniqueness, not to proof your attractiveness. Ultimately, Instagram’s efforts speak to a larger problem within society, which needs to be addressed by all of us collectively.

Credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Catherine Brittain

West Chester '22

Catherine Brittain Current Sophmore at West Chester University Studying Accounting I believe that Her Campus is important because women need to feel encouraged to reach their true potential. I believe that is my job within Her Campus is to empower other women and spread love to women who need it!
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.