Life > Experiences

Getting Back Into The Second Semester Groove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Now that the first semester of college is over, you know what habits work for you, how you manage your time, and what you’re really interested in. As a sophomore, my daily habits are still constantly changing. From routine setting to study methods, here’s a few tips on how to best use those habits to your advantage and to make the second semester a great one!

reflection

Especially as a freshman, the first semester is finding out how to really “do” college. Whether this may be how you manage your free time, what clubs you join, or what study methods work best for you; college is a lot different from high school. Even as a sophomore, I am constantly reorganizing myself. Now that the first semester is over and you’re getting back into your school routine, you may need to do some reflecting on what worked and what didn’t. Before classes start to get too hectic, take some time and think about what really worked- how did you manage homework and studying? Did you effectively prepare for exams? Do you need to change your major or classes you’re taking? Reflection allows for self-awareness and improvements to your daily student-life. 

setting a routine

After reflection, it is important to apply what you think about. Take the time to set out a routine everyday with realistic expectations based on what went well the first semester. Even if getting all your homework done before 8 pm sounds productive, it just may not happen everyday, and that’s ok. Maybe you find out you’re more of a night owl than an early morning bird! Personally, I get more done in the mornings. So, any free time I have during the day, I try to get as much work done as possible because I don’t usually do work after 10 pm. Establishing a daily routine can help you get tasks done quickly and foster good habits. Setting practical expectations for yourself can help you see the day from a new perspective. With some sort of structure, you’ll take consistent steps toward accomplishing your goals and getting everyday tasks done. 

getting ahead

Now that you know what study habits work for you, implement those early! Get ahead while you can. Instead of trying to find something that works and falling behind in the process, you can now have a fresh start. There is no better feeling than knowing how to study for an exam and having confidence going into it. Even if you’re a crammer, you can do the same thing- do what works for YOU!

try something new!

Maybe your first semester you joined a club that you hated or loved- the second semester is all about making a decision about which extracurriculars to join. Since now you know how well you manage your time, you can find a club or sport to join during your free time! I was fortunate enough to love the club I joined my first semester, and am still in it to this day. Adding to your extracurricular profile is a great way to build your resume. Not only that, but it is a great way to meet new people and make new friends!

The second semester can be life changing. If the first semester went well for you- awesome! Now you know to keep up what you’re doing. However, if it didn’t go too hot, you can change what didn’t work and implement some new and healthy habits! Methods like reflection, routine setting, getting ahead, and trying something new can also be something you use in the long run after college to find out what you really want to do with your life!

Macarthy Keane

West Chester '26

Gymnast at West Chester University Writer for Her Campus at WCU