Get Into the Halloween Spirit With 5 Spooky YouTube Channels to Follow This October!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Happy October, friends! It’s officially that time of year when all things mystical, autumnal, and creepy sweep the shelves of every store, and Freeform plays classic Halloween movies all month long. Outside, the air becomes crisp and the summer leaves begin to shed, leaving rich, tawny-hued piles scattered along the ground— the perfect atmosphere to go apple-picking or catching a horror flick at a drive-in theater, which is now regaining popularity as socially distant-friendly fall activities in place of trick-or-treating and costume parties.

However, what do you do when you’ve watched all your favorite movies and don’t feel comfortable going out this season, but still want to get into the Halloween spirit? For me, movies every night tend to not be an option because of school and work, but I always have time for a quick YouTube session when I need to unwind. Being a Halloween fan, myself, I have curated a list of talented YouTube creatives that make the season extra frightening!

Jade the Libra

Jade the Libra might just be the official Halloween Queen! From dark makeup tutorials, gothic-inspired clothing hauls to Halloween décor all year round, you’re left feeling as excited for October 31st as you did when you were a kid. Whether you’re into food-related videos, book reviews, or even classic vlogs, she puts her own unique twist on these with all things creepy and nostalgically fun about Halloween. If you thought you were a Halloween-fanatic, just wait until you check out her house decor below:

Glam&Gore

Have you ever thought about what went into making classic movie monsters come to life from your favorite horror films? Well, SFX artist Mykie—a.k.a Glam&Gore— gives viewers insight into the tedious makeup process on herself; often, turning into these creatures while visiting some of the scariest places in the country, such as the Eastern State Penitentiary in Pennsylvania and haunted spots around Salem, Massachusetts. Her bubbly, soft-spoken personality seems to clash against the gory, grotesque looks she’s able to create on herself, yet her “Zom-baes” can’t get enough. With 4.1 million subscribers, Glam&Gore has gained much-deserved praise on the platform. Check out her glam-to-gore transformation in her Marilyn Monroe video:

LoeyLane

Youtube has made the surge of conspiracy theories and true crime videos much more accessible to the public, but LoeyLane’s channel stands out the most as far as research. Featured on the channel, Buzzfeed: Unsolved Mysteries, Loey’s known for examining viral horror stories and videos and gives her thoughts about what might be truth or myth based on factual information. From exploring the dark sides of TikTok to scary stories that seemed to get swept under the rug, now is the perfect time to learn about these chilling tales.

MadeYewLook

Being a subscriber for several years, I feel as though MadeYewLook’s SFX/makeup channel is underrated for how creative the videos are. Unique ideas, such as role reversals of classic Halloween characters and using makeup to recreate some of her subscriber’s drawings, the artistry is insanely advanced. Recently, she’s come out with her own line of body paints, so if you want to try and test your own skills, considering checking out some of her tips on SFX makeup.

BuzzFeed Unsolved Network

What’s a YouTube Halloween without ghost hunting, mysteries, and investigating true crime stories? Buzzfeed’s iconic duo, Ryan and Shane, explore places known to have supernatural activity, such as haunted manors and abandoned hospitals. However, what makes the channel interesting to watch is the levity that Ryan and Shane provide through their shared sense of humor and natural chemistry.  Since this is a Buzzfeed sister-channel, both production and editing are high-quality and make for each episode to be a much more immersive experience.

Nikki Haslett

West Chester '21

Nikki Haslett is a West Chester University of PA alum and former Vice President for Her Campus at West Chester. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in English writing and a minor in journalism, she is currently seeking out writing and editorial opportunities for digital/print news publications and magazines. Naturally, she's drawn towards creative outlets, whether it be beauty & fashion, writing, drawing, or working with multimedia tools for journalistic projects, such as podcasting and styling magazine layouts using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. As an aspiring journalist and editor, she is determined to use her natural interpersonal skills to make meaningful connections with individuals and bring unique stories to the forefront. Fun Fact: One of my bucket list goals is to write a complete, feature-length movie script and attend a Hollywood awards show.
Contributor account.